What's new
What's new

Need new collet closer for heavy 10

bmklawt

Aluminum
Bought a South Bend 5C collet closer on ebay a year or so ago and tried to use it for the first time today and I find the threads are messed up. Looks as if someone tried to repair the threads making it even worse, I can see no way of repairing this.
Anyway, need to know where I can find a new collet closer or just the tube for this lathe, I can't afford more than $100.00.
Heavy 10, 2-3/8" 8tpi

Your help is greatly appreciated,
Bruce

You might check Ebay - I recently ordered a tube already threaded for the 5C collets. I plan on making the complete draw bar as I go along.....price was right near the $100.00 total with shipping...

Bruce;

You might want to consider making a ER-40 Collet chuck for your 10L. I made one for my 10 L and also one for my 9N South Bend lathes. You can do all the work to make them on your 10L. I bought a scrap 2 1/2 inch round bar of 1020 steel for $10 and made both of them.

Search the website here for ER-40 collets and the photos that I put on the website should show up.

Several of us members have made ER-40 collet chucks for our South Bends, as they are much better than the 5C collets in actual use and flexibility. I found a new set of ER-40 collets on e-Bay for a $100.00.

Steve

Bruce;

You might want to consider making a ER-40 Collet chuck for your 10L. I made one for my 10 L and also one for my 9N South Bend lathes.

I didn't know what the max capacity of an ER40 collet chuck, so I looked. Its 1.040 inch or something like that. My largest 5C collet is 1.0625 so they are very close in capacity. Had no idea ER40 when up to that size. Pretty nice option. And not so many collets to buy.

But I do think 5C drawbar would be more useful than an ER40 setup. :stirthepot:

I use emergency collets to turn thin disks or rings often enough. And I'm setup for step collets too. Can't use those w/ ER collet chucks. But that is a lot of $$ tied up in 5C tooling.

But I agree, making an ER40 collet chuck is an inexpensive way to get collet capacity. Frank & Kenny in Seekonk, MA sell a threaded 5C tube. You cut it to length to suit your needs. He sells them on ebay.

Last edited:
I suppose I should have mentioned it is a handwheel collet closer, total length of the tube is 15-3/16"
I like the ER40 idea but I do need the collet closer to do some work with some step collets, I also thought about repairing the tube with an insert but think it will be just as easy to make a new one if I can't find a replacement.
If anyone has a spare tube they would like to sell, I would appreciate it.

Bruce

"I like the ER40 idea but I do need the collet closer to do some work with some step collets"

If step collets is required, 5C is the most obvious choice.

You might consider a Hardinge-Sjogren 5C collet chuck (now marketed and supported by ATS Workholding).

There are three versions of the Sjogren 5C chuck:

1) standard tapered nose,

2) modfied nose with provision for mounting a 2-3/16"-10 Hardinge screw-type step collet, and

3) modfied nose with provision for mounting a 4º Hardinge taper-type step collet.

If you decide to just find a regular closer I have a spare that came with my lathe. It's not a stock one, it's got a cast iron hand wheel. That being said it works just fine, I've used it more than a few times.

Just send me a P.M. if your interested.

-Jon

Back