What's new
What's new

Collet closer heavy 10

1mondo

Plastic
:scratchchin: Hello
I have been on this forum before, but ot's been quite awhile! I have finally gotten around to trying to use the collet closer that came with the lathe when I bought it from a friend who passed away's wife.
The closer looks to be in great shape, but I haven't been able to get it into the locked position. It is a 5C closer. I decided to take it apart after watching Randy Richard on U2B taking his I think Logan closer apart, didn't look to difficult! All I have been able to remove so far are the 2 knurled knobs on the outboard end, the handle, the large snap ring which holds a small pin into the main body and a smaller ring which seats in a grove in the spindle tube. The rest of the parts look almost like they are threaded onto the tube, but they are not willing to move. So I am wondering if they are pressed onto the tube?? I ordered a book from the South Bend division of Grizzly. The book is kind of titled "Installation, leveling. operating and illustrated parts list." I should be getting it in a few days and I hope the closer will be included in the illustrations and will show me how to dissasemble the closer. I am wondering if any one has a similar closer and could offer some helpful info. The most outboard knurled knob has the South Bend logo etched into it and also has the Number "HLC105L" stamped into it. Yesterday I stuck it into a jug of parts cleaner to let it soak, and after a short while some bubbles started to rise out of the assembly. maybe telling me that the thing is just clogged up and tight with goop and maybe some rust, altho no rust is mot visible on the outside!
Help Please
Ray

Success

:scratchchin: Hello
I have been on this forum before, but ot's been quite awhile! I have finally gotten around to trying to use the collet closer that came with the lathe when I bought it from a friend who passed away's wife.
The closer looks to be in great shape, but I haven't been able to get it into the locked position. It is a 5C closer. I decided to take it apart after watching Randy Richard on U2B taking his I think Logan closer apart, didn't look to difficult! All I have been able to remove so far are the 2 knurled knobs on the outboard end, the handle, the large snap ring which holds a small pin into the main body and a smaller ring which seats in a grove in the spindle tube. The rest of the parts look almost like they are threaded onto the tube, but they are not willing to move. So I am wondering if they are pressed onto the tube?? I ordered a book from the South Bend division of Grizzly. The book is kind of titled "Installation, leveling. operating and illustrated parts list." I should be getting it in a few days and I hope the closer will be included in the illustrations and will show me how to dissasemble the closer. I am wondering if any one has a similar closer and could offer some helpful info. The most outboard knurled knob has the South Bend logo etched into it and also has the Number "HLC105L" stamped into it. Yesterday I stuck it into a jug of parts cleaner to let it soak, and after a short while some bubbles started to rise out of the assembly. maybe telling me that the thing is just clogged up and tight with goop and maybe some rust, altho no rust is mot visible on the outside!
Help Please
Ray

Hi Gents
Well after many minutes of staring and swearing at the closer and after a couple of days of soaking in parts cleaner and EVAPORUST I got totally confused and couldn't figure out why the closer wouldn't come apart, there obviously must have been some internal parts that were not doing their job so I got out the hammer to show it who was boss!! Don't worry it was a plastic headed hammer and after countless blows here there and everywhere I finally saw some movement and suddenly with a bang it came apart and the parts were everywhere on the bench. 10 of the parts were 5/16" chrome ball bearings which were so badly pitted there was no hope for them, so a trip to my local ACE hardware store and I was back in business. After a lot of elbow grease and cleaning and trying to figure out where the various parts fit, a bit of assembly oil the bugger is now back on line and ready to close some collets!!
Thanks for the interest
Ray

I think I have the same problem. Did your handle draw in the collet, but not lock? If so, I better watch Randy, too.

Back