What's new
What's new

The bigger they are, the less they cost

KrisG

Aluminum
Here is a big old South Bend, 24 inch swing, with a 16 foot bed. It went for $262.00.
It may not be the greatest condition, but this is about normal for a machine of this size and age.

It looks to be from the mid 1920's, but it is listed as a model 75 M, which I have not been able to find in any of my old catalogs. I have the 24 inch as model 54 in 1923, and model 58 in 1930. These machines went for $1324 in 1923 dollars and weigh about 5000 lbs.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7540877573&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

How do you make the link active so you can just click on it?

I was watching that one too. I think one of the things that hurt the price was "local pickup only". Most folks also don't have space or need for something that large.

Looks like the typical Model O apron. Model Os were all they made between 1906 when they started and the very late twenties/very early thirties (1931 catalog still refers to Model N as "new") All Model Os have single wall apron and soft spindle. Model N brought on double wall apron and hardened spindle.

John

Nice price. My buddy got a huge Clausing 16' bed lathe for free. Sure takes up some room. But you could not ever run out of swing or length...Bob

Just to add to this, I was at an auction this morning (10/3). I'd say it was a S-B 13"-15", 5' bed, steady rest, three chucks, couple faceplates, bunch of dogs, cutters and other stuff. No QC, but looked like the full set of gears. Older model. Bunch of surface rusty MT drills. Don't remember what else was in the cabinets.

$50

I didn't have time to go home for the hoist, rent a u-haul trailer, etc.

Rich

Back