What's new
What's new

Bison chuck WAY out

Bluecollarirons

Plastic
I have a 1937 SB model C (model A conversion). I just got a 6" 2 piece 3 jaw Bison chuck for it. The chuck is almost 10 thou out of center.. That seems a bit much. Are new chucks supposed to be ground? Should I dust the ID with a boring bar??

How accurate is the backplate's register? I'd probably pull that off and indicate it to verify its right. If the chuck isn't centered on the plate its going to have runout. Also depending how loose things are with the register and bolt holes you may be able to tap it around some and get it to run more true.

the only place on the body i have an uninterrupted edge all the way around is the OD of the back plate. Which is about 7 or 8 thou out as well.. maybe my spindle is not spinning true??

hahahaha,,, Don't worry,, Im not.. Im not the type to haul off and do stuff like that unless its 100% accurate info to do so.. I have learned my lesson with this type of stuff... Btw.. Where on the spindle would I put the dial to measure run out??

If the back plate was not turned on your lathe, there is no reason that either it, or the chuck would run true. You need to make sure the backplate is seated well against the spindle and clean up the OD and registration shoulder where the chuck seats.

allan

Sorry again. But where is the registration shoulder? I have been using a lathe for 7 years but never had to replace a chuck.. So this is new to me..

hahahaha,,, Don't worry,, Im not.. Im not the type to haul off and do stuff like that unless its 100% accurate info to do so.. I have learned my lesson with this type of stuff... Btw.. Where on the spindle would I put the dial to measure run out??

On the unthreaded section by the shoulder, or inside the taper (however the taper can have wear in itself)

Check spindle runout, then check backplate shoulder and face runout. If all good, make sure the chuck seats tightly on the back plate. If it shifts radially any ammount, it's probably by design so you can lightly *hammer* it true with a soft face mallet to get zero runout. If it is however tight, it's somewhere in the chuck.

there should be 2 uninterrupted areas you can indicate, just in front of the pinions and just behind them...not much but enough to get an indicator point on.

Do indicate the spindle without the chuck too.

Make sure it's all nice and clean before you remount the chuck, check the backplate threads to for a stray chip.

oh ok.. I got it.. Its the shoulder where the chuck and back plate butt up.. So I face that off a hair?? On just the back plate or chuck body too?? I have a 4 jaw to fit the chuck body

Sorry again. But where is the registration shoulder? I have been using a lathe for 7 years but never had to replace a chuck.. So this is new to me..

Assuming the chuck and backplate can be separated, you pull the screws out, and look at the backplate under the chuck. There will be a raised area that centers the back of the chuck.

allan

Are there three screws on the front face of the chuck, and then three screw around the outside at the rear of the chuck close to where it meets the backplate?

If so, you have a set-tru chuck. Chuck a piece of ground stock in the jaws, slightly loosen the three screws on the front face so they are just lightly snugged down, and then adjust the runout until it disappears with the three screws around the outside. Then tighten up the three screws on the face of the chuck.

Back