What's new
What's new

Black Oxide for Small Parts?

Domodude17

Aluminum
Started reading through Paula's restoration thread (that should probably be in the noteworthy threads sticky!) and got to the part where she mentioned putting black oxide on some of the smaller stuff. What do you guys think of this? Good idea, bad idea, etc. Would it be worth doing to things like the quick change gearbox gears and whatnot? Thanks!

Doesn't hurt, non wear surfaces will keep the color. Heat the part(s) (toaster oven) after oxide treatment then dip in oil. Helps prevent rust down the road. Van's, Oxpho Blue, 44/40 are OK cold bluing solutions. Use latex gloves or you'll stink for a while.

Used to make and grind gauges..I would black oxide all the non gaguging surfaces...really looked cool and everyone loved it.
Just used Gun blue & black...

Early days I would wash gun barrels with Ajax and hot water wearing cotton gloves.. clean towel wipe dry and blue them..came out good.

Used to re finish my Mauser 98 stock with Tintex dye so had some of the most odd and beautiful wood you ever saw.

Still have that old 98 but use the 243 and 30-06/98 now.

Guess I should re try the 8mm with a 150 gr.. might be ok to good.

Just remember that by most standards, Black Oxide is a purely cosmetic treatment, with minimal rust preventative properties. 38super's tip about warming and oiling them is a good one, but this is still a finish that I would not expect to last forever, or to last at all if it sees any wear or load.

A machine tool doesn't need Mil-Spec salt spray test approved super coatings. Hell, bare cast iron should take years to or even decades to rust in a decent shop environment. Black oxide is probably fine, even the cheap cold stuff.

Back