What's new
What's new

Boring bar Recommendation for a SB 9

Rick_B

Stainless
Good afternoon folks - I have a SB heavy 9 that I want to tool up for boring. Currently it has an Aloris AXA tool post and a Phase II boring bar holder that takes either a 34/4 or 5/8 bar shank. I was looking at Enco's carbide tipped bars but have always heard the smaller SB lathes and carbide were not a good match. I also don't have any method for sharpening carbide. My current project is to bore a 2" hole 1/2" deep in steel.

Is a C6 carbide boring bar OK for this or should I be looking for a bar that takes HSS inserts? I haven't yet found any HSS bars yet?

Thanks
Rick

boring bars for hss should be an easy find on ebay. you should be able to bore hole in meantime with a properly ground hss toolbit with clearance, its only 1/2 in deep.

You can never have too many boring bars. I have at least 30 different ones. Some work better than others for different jobs that come in the door..Bob

Back in the day we would have tool bits sharpened for a short depth boring used alone and simple ½ , ¾ and 1” or more piece of shafting with a tool bit hole and set screw. Good way to use up too short HSS bits. Much like what we often called Armstrong boring bars.

You can never have too many boring bars. I have at least 30 different ones. Some work better than others for different jobs that come in the door..Bob

That and the fact that the larger the boring bar, the better, and with an assortment, you will likely have some big ones.

Boring a 2" hole, you can use the biggest boring bar you can take (3/4").

A boring bar like this one uses HSS, and works great for those leftover scraps, like michiganbuck said.

Typically, one end has a hole at a 45 degree angle and the other end is at 90 degrees.

I got that shot from ebay, but that one is a 3/4". Do a little searching and you should be able to find a 3/4" and/or 5/8"

Steve

Attachments

• $_57.jpg
    $_57.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 446
Arthur R. Warner would be my recommendation on boring bars. HSS inserts (can use carbide) and well made tooling.

The Warner bits will look expensive, but all you need to do to sharpen them is put them face down on a sharpening stone and rub them around. Also, they won't chip on an uninterrupted cut like carbide can. Between those two factors, you can get a lot more use out of them.

See here for some information on them:
High Speed Steel Lathe tooling.AVI - YouTube

Steve

Back