What's new
What's new

13" Spindle Question

Greywolf36

Aluminum
Ok here's the situation,

I bought my 13"SBL and it came with the 2 1/4 - 8 spindle, I recently picked up a D1-4 Camlock Spindle for it as the price was right and the spindle is nice and straight, what are the benefits of one VS the other? I know that if you have multiple chucks the D1-4 is handy but are there other benefits?

Thanks,
Keith

Hi There,

I would say, the main benefit to D1-4 over a threaded
spindle is the ability to reverse the spindle rotation and
not have the chuck come un-threaded.

Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb

In addition to what Webb says, I think there are more modern chucks available for D1-4 than threaded mount.

I don't think the stuck chuck problem exists with D1-4, am I right?

Ryan

Check out a Sjogren (hardinge) collet chuck for your D1-4 mount. Mine repeats to extreme accuracy. I'm not familiar with your 2 1/4 mount... does it have the repeatability???

Hi There,

Repeatability of a chuck on a threaded spindle will
depend on how well the backing plate mates to
the spindle (particularly in the register area).

It has been my observation that the register diameter
can vary quite a bit from manufacturer-to-manufacturer
(and even from lathe-to-lathe within a manufacturer
sometimes). So, when dealing with lathes with threaded
spindles, a chuck from lathe A may not run as concentrically
on lathe B.

I personally don't have a D1-4 spindle (most of my lathes
have L00 spindles) but it is my understanding that a
similar chuck swap between lathes so equipped will
yield better results.

Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb

It looks pretty involved, so I'll do some more research prior to removal/reinstall and take pics as I go, I think this was documented by another already and I may follow his lead

Keith

I've got a D1-4 spindle in my 13", I took a lot of photos when I disassembled, cleaned and reassembled- I can post pic's on photobucket if you need anything. I used Ryan's (Grey Rider) web site quite a bit and didn't notice many differences between the threaded and D1-4 spindle head stocks. Here is Grey Rider's web site- http://home.roadrunner.com/~rcbattelle/lathe.html

Gill

Back