What's new
What's new

Buck Chuck Adjust Tru to threaded spindle

no1boatguy

Plastic
Hi Everyone

I was looking at getting a Buck adjust tru chuck for my lathe. I have a threaded spindle. The chuck in picture is the one I am looking at. It seems like an adapter plate could be made that would fit in the recess and bolt through the front with the 6 mounting holes to lock it in place. I could leave .010 clearance around the plate for the adjustment feature. Since the traditional backing plates for a plain back chuck go to the full circumference of the chuck and bolt to the outer portions of the chuck I'm not sure of any drawbacks there are to what I am thinking. Appreciate all the wisdom on this forum.

Attachments

• Buck Chuck Back.jpg
    Buck Chuck Back.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 232
This style chuck requires a thicker backplate than normal to provide a wide shoulder for the adjustment screws to push against. They’re harder to find at a reasonable cost (I’m looking for one for a new 10” Toolmex/Bison design Set-Tru chuck now).

You might be able to bolt a disc to the face of a thinner non-adjustable backplate and then turn the resulting assembly true to your spindle.

Your idea about mounting is correct. In my photo you see the backplate I made for my 6" 3-jaw. I have the spindle thread into the chuck to minimize chuck overhang. And the seat against the spindle face is recessed .030 so when I law the chuck down It's likely to not get damaged.

Your chuck looks like a 5", but the design is similar.

attachment.php

Bolting a disc to a srandard backplate is done all the time for larger chucks as Tom says.

what MT2 did is perfect for a SB, I did that on all my chucks after I saw his original posting some years back...so nice to be able to lay a chuck down in a drawer.

So you ended up getting one from eBay? Mine never came, I am still bummed out..

Yes, thanks to Chad's timely heads-up before Christmas I have a brand new Toolmex 10" three jaw Adjust-Tru waiting on a backplate. These are the China mfd units of Bison design before the two companies parted ways. It was $99 delivered, can't beat that with a stick!

The only reason I haven't finished a new backplate for it is I'm researching the cost to switch from threaded to L00 on my 16". He Who Shall Not Be Named here on the forum is tempting me with a NOS L00 spindle at what is probably a fair price, but there's no nut or wrench included and L00 backplates don't grow on trees like threaded ones do. There's an OEM Bison L00 backplate that will fit my Toolmex chuck on eBay right now but they want $300+ for it. That stings. I'm not yet confident enough in my own abilities to make an L00 backplate from scratch. Even starting with a semi-finished unit, I'd still need to bolt on the adjustment boss as suggested above because all the semi-finished units I've found so far are too thin.

OK, thread hijack over now. :)

Last edited:
He Who Shall Not Be Named here on the forum is tempting me with a NOS L00 spindle at what is probably a fair price, but there's no nut or wrench included and L00 backplates don't grow on trees like threaded ones do.

OK, thread hijack over now. :)

Would that be Valtamore or Beatle Juice ???:D :smoking:

Back