What's new
What's new

Busted SB 13 headstock casting. Need help!

Off-kilter

Aluminum
Hello everyone! I just purchased a SB 13 with a broken headstock. It belonged to a boys camp and the machine had been knocked over on its side. Almost all of the broken pieces are present except the flat belt change handle and linkages in the under drive cabinet. I think it is a 1941. Haven't taken the time to check the numbers. It has a single lever QCGB and large dials on the feed screws. I think worse case senario, I can weld the headstock without compromising accuracy but I would rather replace it. It looks like the heavy 10 and the 13 are almost identical. I am assuming they are not. Is the 10 headstock a possibility or should I repair or even replace the casting? The lathe will not be used frequently but I do plan on restoring it if I can get the headstock worked out. If not I will scrap it, keep the motor for my shaper and sale the parts that are good. Any help is greatly appreciated!:D

Quote : " It looks like the heavy 10 and the 13 are almost identical. "

No , not close . Besides center height , the spindle on the 13 is about 7" longer , and has an extra pulley .
You need a parts list . ( Included in the Ilion manual )
SB 13 parts are expensive and heavy , so using part numbers can avoid unnecessary expense .
Which part of the headstock are you proposing to weld , and what method will you use ?
A couple of years ago I brought home a SB13 that was missing many parts . Between here and eBay I found all the needed parts , and it's a good lathe now .

Last edited:
It is busted on both front and back bottom corners of the headstock gear end. The chuck end isn't hurt. The pieces are there and I was thinking about v grinding only the inside of the housing and inside of the broken piece's and pressing the 2 pieces together in a hydraulic shop press and leaving the outside edges and ends untouched for alignment. I was either going to braze it or stick weld it with nickel rod and let it cool slowly submerged in sand. There isn't a lot of the corners broken but I don't think there is a way to secure the back end of the headstock to the bed. The way v's are still there but the gear end of the housing can be moved back and forth a little. It wouldn't need the repair if there was a way to secure the damaged end to the bed. I just picked it up today and haven't had time to tear it down yet but will be digging into it Monday or Tuesday. Thanks!

It may not be worth fixing. I only gave $250 for it. The thread dial, apron, chuck and gearbox should be worth at least $250. People are wanting $200 + for the apron and anywhere from $150-$199 for the thread dial. I think they are overpriced but I just restored a SB 9C and converted it to an A model and those parts weren't cheap and I ONLY bid on and purchased the cheaper parts that were on auction. I also purchased the rebuild kit and oils on "Epay" and they were worth every penny. I gave $300 for the SB 9 with a ton of tooling and probably have close to $900 in it. It was well worth doing the conversion and I love my SB 9! I hope to restore the SB 13.

That's an awsome idea! I hope that's all is needed. I never think simple. I always tell my son "if I can't do it the hard way, then I can't do it". He seems to agree. Imagine that! Thanks for the input!

Sorry to hear about the lathe.
If you decide you want to part it out,i would be intensely interested in buying the Quick Change Gear Box,the Saddle clamp,and the Slide Pinion Assembly(the center gear set that mounts in the center location on the Primary or as its sometimes referred to as the "Banjo Bracket".Im restoring a 13 myself.Its a 1941 model as well.A 13 x 6 foot model.Yea the 10 is a different animal altogether.
Thanks for your time.

If it isn't worth fixing, we can do some business. I have only seen pics of the 10. Wishful thinking on my part.LOL. I'll know in the next couple of days if I will try to fix it or not and I will let ya know. Thanks!

Post the serial number and some photos if you can. You may have a bidding war on your hands if you are going to part it out!

(Looking for the single tumbler gear box, lead screw, banjo and left hand gearing...) Mine's a six foot bed, late 1940's...

John

Back