What's new
What's new

Buying a heavy 10, looking for value estimates and opinions

capitalcrew

Plastic
I've been looking to but a lathe for a month or so now and I recently found a heavy 10 available, but it hasn't run in 10+ years and isn't powered up to test. The guy who owned it has passed, his son is trying to sell it for his mom.

I don't know a ton about these so I was hoping someone could tell me what this thing is missing if anything and what a reasonable value would be considering I can't test run it.

Are there any specific checks I can make on the machine to see what kind of condition it is in besides just looking at the ways?

Pictures attached, thanks

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg

Looks clean, how does the spindle rotate? The bearings in the spindle can be checked for wear by lifting up on the spindle with a dial indicator at the hub
Is thee any tools with it? steady rest? follow rest? collets?

As far as estimates, i am not familiar with these or your area, and what lathes go for there, area can make a difference. Also tools and extras make a difference, is it 1ph or 3ph can make a difference.

Looks reasonably well cared for. As mentioned, the tooling and accessories are what make the difference in price. As it sits, they've been selling in my area for between 900 dollars and 2000 dollars. I see it has a spindle nose protector spun on it, so one might assume there's a collet closer and collets kicking around their place somewhere for it. You might suggest to the son that you guys scour the garages and buildings where the man's stuff was to locate everything lathe related so that you can make the best offer possible.

Made a deal sight unseen for 300 bucks, he seemed happy with it. I won't be able to look for tooling or accessories unfortunately but he's going to see what he can find.

Is there anything missing in the third picture of the gears? I don't know anything about how that area is supposed to look but it just seems like something is missing there to me.

Thank you for your responses so far, I'll definitely update with answers to all questions once I have it in my possession

In my opinion, it's nearly impossible to go wrong on a Heavy 10 for $300. Even if it's well worn it will still be usable with some tweaking and repair. Even if it's really worn you can reclaim more than that by parting it out.

John

You wont go wrong for 300. My pics are not that clear....Is the crossfeed screw and handle in place? Not a big deal. You should be able to acquire one fairly easily. Congrats, hope it's in good shape.PB

No way you can miss at that price, as the others have said. Hopefully he finds rests, collets, etc. - if he knows what he is looking for.

Where are you in NY?

Dale

I'm not familiar with the heavy 10 model, but I did buy a 1943 SB9 Model C a year and a half ago for "a good price" of $200.(see the thread on PM). Took a year and an additional $1,300 before I could start making chips!

However looking at the pictures from capitalcrew's purchase for $300, his lathe is way more complete than mine was. Even if he were drop another grand on missing tooling, it seems well worth it to me. And since I still long for a set of collets for mine, I would encourage the son to search high and low for them.

Looks like a nice score for 3 bills. The cross-feed handle is out of it, but hopefully its around somewhere. When you go to pick it up, ask if you can look around some. I wouldn't be too surprised if there is a cabinet or drawer with the rest of the bits and pieces in it if the man who owned it actually used the machine. There may well also be some other things of use that you can buy if they are looking to clear out the garage.

Nice score, congrats. I was looking at one of those a few weeks ago in RI that sold for about $1000 but it included some tooling. I just moved a similarly sized lathe and it was a bear. Not sure what you're moving it with but be careful. They're heavy! Assuming you're from capital district? I live about 1 1/2 hrs south. Good luck.

I don't think I can look around unfortunately. I need to find a time to go pick it up now.

I'm outside of Albany in Knox

Cgrutt, you're a member on NYF correct?

Nice score, congrats. I was looking at one of those a few weeks ago in RI that sold for about $1000 but it included some tooling. I just moved a similarly sized lathe and it was a bear. Not sure what you're moving it with but be careful. They're heavy! Assuming you're from capital district? I live about 1 1/2 hrs south. Good luck.

I moved a heavy 10 on the sheet metal cabinet. Myself, the seller and a friend were barely able to get it into the back of my truck, and thats an S10 that sits pretty low to the ground as trucks go. We got it, but not at all easy to do without some lifting gear. Taking it to pieces helps a lot. That motor drive assembly and the end casting are probably 200 lbs.

I thought I posted this but apparently I haven't..

I was thinking I would take it apart to move it but now I'm looking at renting a trailer with a ramp and just pulling it on with a come along. It's already on a skid so that would be the easiest way, plus I would be able to strap it down much better with all of the extra real estate on the trailer rather than just the four tie down spots in my truck bed.

I should be picking it up tomorrow, then I'll get much better pictures and see what else is there if possible and what I may be missing. Updates coming tomorrow or friday.

Thanks for the help

I thought I posted this but apparently I haven't..

I was thinking I would take it apart to move it but now I'm looking at renting a trailer with a ramp and just pulling it on with a come along. It's already on a skid so that would be the easiest way, plus I would be able to strap it down much better with all of the extra real estate on the trailer rather than just the four tie down spots in my truck bed.

I should be picking it up tomorrow, then I'll get much better pictures and see what else is there if possible and what I may be missing. Updates coming tomorrow or friday.

Thanks for the help

Yeah, member of NYF but haven't been posting there for a while.

I have a larger tandem axle landscape trailer and my lathe was on wheels. It took two of us 2 hours to get it onto the trailer and 2 of us 3 hours to get it off. The weight concentrated in such a small area was breaking the 2x6 boards on my trailer. We wound up putting it on a couple sheets of 3/16" (approx) sheet metal/steel which worked good. Take it slow driving as well. Mine is different brand but I bet the weight is similar. Be careful! Take some plywood if you don't have access to steel, esp. if trailer deck is boards.

Oh, I definitely wouldn't trust tying it down to the normal spots that are on a pickup truck. I used 2 chains and 4 large (2-1/2" I'm guessing) straps to the frame of my trailer. I really underestimated weight of this thing, LOL. Good luck!

I haven't posted much there myself. Too much doom and gloom.

I think I'll be okay, I rented a trailer with a metal deck and I'll have straps and a come along and pry bars etc. I got my Bridgeport home no problem.

Since this thing is missing the screw for the cross slide I've been for parts. I did see this taper attachment that has a new screw but I'm not sure if that's the one I actually need. Can anyone give me any info on this? Could I pick this up if the machine doesn't have a taper attachment and kill two birds with one stone? Link below

South Bend Heavy 1 1L Taper Attachment | eBay

The taper attachment screws are different than the non-taper fitted models. That looks complete, though i'm not certain what the gibs are for. Looks to me like they go in the compound and cross-slide but those parts are not pictured. You'd still need the crank handle as well since that appears to be missing. I'm not certain if the taper vs non-taper handles are the same.

unless those are the gibs that belong in the taper attachment. There are two that go in there too.

If sliding it off trailer good to have something to hold trailer from flipping back and down too fast. Couple jacks or something..then catch the trailer when off loading so it does not fall hard.
*For $100 or less you can get the local wrecker truck to lift and set her down. Straight up and straight down is the safe way.

Then be careful because they tip over in one eye wink.

Back