What's new
What's new

Buying a South Bend 9x24

DennyReagan

Aluminum
I haven't seen it in person yet, just the pictures. I'm buying it for $400. The picture with the South Bend Catalog number isn't clear enough to make out.

I hope to see it tomorrow. I've attached the photo's the PO sent me.

Attachments

• IMG_0584.jpg
    IMG_0584.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 387
  • IMG_0585.jpg
    IMG_0585.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 272
  • IMG_0586.jpg
    IMG_0586.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 288
  • IMG_0587.jpg
    IMG_0587.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 237
  • IMG_0588.jpg
    IMG_0588.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 271
Buy it. The steady rest alone is worth over half the asking price. Thats a nice setup, and it has the stack of change gears. Those get pricey to buy if you need them.

Looks like a 9C if I had to guess at it. I don't see the power cross-feed knob.

It is a 9 Jr, from mid to late 1930s. Get the serial number off the right end of the bed, and we can date it more accurately. Has a cool bench too, might be original. Note that this machine is bigger than the 9" workshop (A/B/C) lathes. It has more in common with a Heavy 10.

allan

I see a steady and a threading dial in the pics. Those two bits are worth more than the asking price, and are rare bits for Jr owners.

It is a 9 Jr, from mid to late 1930s. Get the serial number off the right end of the bed, and we can date it more accurately. Has a cool bench too, might be original. Note that this machine is bigger than the 9" workshop (A/B/C) lathes. It has more in common with a Heavy 10.

allan

So that's the Jr... I was looking at the apron and thinking it looked way bigger than my 9A.

The serial number is 68821.

The bench is the original bench. The handwheel to the far left under the headstock moves the entire drive assembly forward and back to
adjust the tension on the belt.

It has the threading dial and a micrometer stop. There are 3 chucks, 2 faceplates, a drive plate, and a whole bunch of tooling and the change gears plus the steady rest.
The ways look good. He put it under power and the automatic feed worked. It sounds good, no nasty noises.

The length of the bed is 3 1/2 feet. The Catalog number is 24-ZN

I have to get my Lodge, Davis 19x114 lathe moved out of my garage before I can get the lathe moved in. The guy will hold the South Bend till the end of June.

Denny

So that's the Jr... I was looking at the apron and thinking it looked way bigger than my 9A.

Well, this is a later Jr. The earlier ones used a apron based on the Series O, which has a large, flat disk at the base of the halfnut lever. These later ones (Series R/S/T) look more like the 10L.

68821 would be the middle of 1936. Looks pretty good for an 80 year old lathe.
allan

Well, this is a later Jr. The earlier ones used a apron based on the Series O, which has a large, flat disk at the base of the halfnut lever. These later ones (Series R/S/T) look more like the 10L.

68821 would be the middle of 1936. Looks pretty good for an 80 year old lathe.
allan

This lathe is ready to make chips right now. Definitely not bad for an 80 year old lathe.

Thanks for the info on the date, Allan. It is appreciated.

Here are some pictures I took today. Some of the pictures I took didn't turn out.

Attachments

• DSCN1548.jpg
    DSCN1548.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 126
  • DSCN1552.jpg
    DSCN1552.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 238
  • DSCN1553.jpg
    DSCN1553.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 312
  • DSCN1555.jpg
    DSCN1555.jpg