What's new
What's new

calling paula

jeep534

Cast Iron
I would like to discuss some south bend litature I have acess to. I tried pm a while back but got no response

archie =) =) =)

Paula is gone. She USED to be a avid member, but not no more. Last I heard, she's too busy. I think she ought to transfer her title as moderator to someone else.

Paula is gone. She USED to be a avid member, but not no more. Last I heard, she's too busy. I think she ought to transfer her title as moderator to someone else.

Gee that's funny the forum shows her last activity as yesterday, maybe she just jumps in when needed and that hasn't happened lately.

Attachments

• paula.jpg
    paula.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 358
Gee that's funny the forum shows her last activity as yesterday, maybe she just jumps in when needed and that hasn't happened lately.

Gee, maybe you can post a screen shot of her last reply or post?

I too, can check my PM's or simply click a link to read something and my "last activity" will reflect that.

What exactly do we need an active moderator for?
In general the SB forum seems like one of the most agreeable groups of people I have ever met on the internets.

And to the OP, this site has not ever hosted large quantities of scanned literature.
There are a number of other sites that do, Steve Wells as noted above is one.
I have a server I run for my day job, and I would be happy to store those documents for you if you are planning to make them available to people here on the forum.
Send me a PM if you are interested.

Josh

Nelson Timken

My (prior) response seems to "read" as if I'm against Paula. I'm not. Paula is a "good guy". She is one smart cookie and her posts were VERY enjoyable to read because of how elegant she writes. She has my total respect as a machinist and a person.

One thing I do remember Paula saying, was that she was getting harassed by Nelson Timken. And in today's digital age, didn't want to be exposed, I guess.

Nelson Timken is the owner & operator of "The Hobby Machinist". He used to be a member here and apparently mixed it up with some people and became disgruntled. He got booted and rejoined again and again under fake names. He went off and created his own site - The Hobby Machinist.

I recently had an INCREDIBLE run-in with this guy. A while back, I joined his site, not knowing that it was him running it. And being so avid on this site, I didn't really contribute very much to his site. He repeatedly contacted me, asking for me to share my restoration threads on (his) site. A little strange that I was being contacted by the admin of another site, who knew all about my threads and posts?? But I never did, because its a LOT of working putting together those threads and I simply didn't have the time to go back and re-create them all over again.

So a couple months ago, I did have some time and thought I would post some info on my 13" restoration. I forgot my password and "contacted the admin" to reset my password.

What came next was shocking! He blasted me for being a "deadbeat" member and basically said I was a "spy". That my only intension to gain access to HIS site, was so that I could "STEAL" (yes, Steal) ideas and give them to THIS site. Really, a machinist-forum "spy"?? Give me a break, what grade are we in here? Then like with Paula, he tried to bully me by throwing some personal info at me that he must have found on this site, or google...

Then he said that Jim Benjamin (who graciously made a tailstock screw for me, 2 years ago) "restored my whole machine" and that I was "trying to take credit for his work". And that I didn't compensate Jim fairly. Wow...

He also said (so be warned) - that he gained access to THIS site under a fake name and regularly KEEPS TABS on what everyone is doing & saying. He knew things that I posted (only here).

So, its my opinion that he made this site unpleasant for Paula, enough for her to lay low. Especially since he's among us keeping tabs and all.

Some things never seem to change no matter where you go!

Brad,
Your last post sounds almost to the letter like something tha happened on a ham radio site that I am a member of. We had a disgruntled know it all who got to be quite a pain in the ass. So bad that the admins pulled out the stops and let us all have at him. He eventually got a real bad case of "I'll take my toys and go home". He started his own site to bolster his ego.

His site eventually got to be a "I want to talk to XXXX" site where he had to interject on every thread. All of those who were unhappy with the first site and left for his site all got tired of him and came back to the original site where it all started. People take some of this shit way too seriously, save the adrenaline, life is way to short.

Frank

That's funny, you probably registered on his site using the same name and email address as you did on this site, since he knew who you were and what you have posted here. He on the other hand, used a fake name and different email address in order to hide his identity when he registered on the site. In truth he doesn't even have to register to read the information here. He can do so completely anonymous without anyone really knowing that he was here. And he accuses you of being a spy. Someone who did not try to disguise who he was. He must be paranoid. Or at least very insecure. Since I have not had any direct dealing with him I cannot say, but I do remember reading his erratic posts and the problems we had with him.
My advice, be glad you don't have to deal with him on his site and on his terms. And don't worry about it. If he acts like that with most of his subscribers his group won't last.

And Paula, if you're reading this we do miss your words of wisdom and the sanity you brought to this group. Although the people on this group are very well behaved and reasonable in their judgment it only takes one to stir stuff up. And your moderation of this group was greatly appreciated.

Joe.

That's funny, you probably registered on his site using the same name and email address as you did on this site, since he knew who you were and what you have posted here. He on the other hand, used a fake name and different email address in order to hide his identity when he registered on the site. In truth he doesn't even have to register to read the information here. He can do so completely anonymous without anyone really knowing that he was here. And he accuses you of being a spy. Someone who did not try to disguise who he was. He must be paranoid. Or at least very insecure. Since I have not had any direct dealing with him I cannot say, but I do remember reading his erratic posts and the problems we had with him.
My advice, be glad you don't have to deal with him on his site and on his terms. And don't worry about it. If he acts like that with most of his subscribers his group won't last.

And Paula, if you're reading this we do miss your words of wisdom and the sanity you brought to this group. Although the people on this group are very well behaved and reasonable in their judgment it only takes one to stir stuff up. And your moderation of this group was greatly appreciated.

Joe.

I second that Joe!

If indeed Paula has been absent due to Nelson Timken it is truly a significant shame. The good that has always flowed from Paula's work and writing possibly brought down by a vindictive piece of work such as Nelson is too loathsome to contemplate.

If anyone would like an email-transcript of me and Nelson's conversation, I'll happily send it. Reading it again, it's VERY entertaining, LOL.

If anyone would like an email-transcript of me and Nelson's conversation, I'll happily send it. Reading it again, it's VERY entertaining, LOL.

Gawd no! Thanks for the offer, but Nelson has to be an acquired taste that I'm sure I will never ever come to appreciate. One can only hope that there is such a concept as karma and it catches up with Nelson posthaste. The most striking paradox about Nelson diatribes from what readings I have seen of his is that the guy appears to actually believe that he is the aggrieved party in every instance. Loathsome beyond belief!

Geeze this would be funny if it wasn't so friggen sad. And I'd rather have one single Paula than 1 or 10,000 Nelsons. There was a thread on the HSM forum earlier last year and his name came up. All of a sudden a brand new member jumps into it defending Nelson. I guess George Buliss the forum moderator checked, and that new "member" had the same address as Nelson. I've gotten into it more than a couple of times with him. In case anyone doesn't know? He's apparently a Minister and Lawyer. He has been permanently banned from here, Chaski, HSM and just about every other forum I can think of. He was still active on a few Yahoo groups and the OWWM forum though. I'd love to meet him, I have a few choice thoughts in some well practiced industrial language.

Pete

"In general the SB forum seems like one of the most agreeable groups of people I have ever met on the internets."

+1 on that.

Though, I do also miss her contributions here.

Funny this came up. I just got booted off Hobby Machinist today. I shoulda known better than to go there. The SB forum is one of the best sites for info....Thanks to all for your contributions

Gee, maybe you can post a screen shot of her last reply or post?

I too, can check my PM's or simply click a link to read something and my "last activity" will reflect that.

Your statement is correct and that was my point. The forum shows she visits the forum, I didn't state that she was posting or reply to posts, just that she was here at times.

Back