What's new
What's new

Can Someone Please Identify the Lathe for Me?

MARVINGARDENS

Aluminum
Hi.

Real rookie question here. This lathe has come up for sale locally. I haven't seen it yet and the owner doesn't know anything about it. I don't know anything about it either. I'm being told to find a South Bend Heavy 10L for my future gunsmithing projects.

Does anything jump out at anyone?

Thank you.

Bob

I just bought one a little newer then that last summer for $500.00. It's a South Bend. Plus my cabinet is under all of mine. Mine might be a bit shorter. I will have to check the model and post it later. Rich

Big bore spindle + cam lock chuck mount = Heavy 10. Only smaller SB that I would even consider owning. GRAB IT !! And Taper Attachment what you waiting for.

Bob, it will work just fine for rifle length barrels as long you aren't hung up on that between centers is the only way to chamber.

Buck

Thanks everyone. I truly do appreciate all of the information I have received here.

I would like to find one with a longer bed. I'll just have to see how this works out when my friend and I go check it out.

Thanks again.

Bob

for a first lathe and to learn on buy it if the price is good. when you out grow it you will still have a nice lathe to resell when you find a better one.

Don't be too quick to pass up that lathe, if its in good shape and a price you can live with,
a short bed you can do a lot....

my eyes are bad, but i think the pic is deceiving, the big gap between the motor base and drawers of the stand tell me it`s longer bed. 4 footer??

which with the D chuck would net something around 28"-30" CC??

Looks like my 4-footer. If it's in good shape (check the ways) and the price is right...buy it. Even with the cam-lock chuck you should still get 24'' . I've done 24" but the spindle is threaded.

Large dials would be nicer, but, you can always upgrade later. As said above, might be a good'un. PB

Interesting:

Somebody has either

a) changed the spindle in the original headstock,
b) changed the headstock on the lathe, or
c) put an older cabinet underneath a newer lathe.

I don't think that the machines build on the loopy pipe leg cabinets
were ever offered with cam-lock spindles.

?

Interesting:

Somebody has either

a) changed the spindle in the original headstock,
b) changed the headstock on the lathe, or
c) put an older cabinet underneath a newer lathe.

I don't think that the machines build on the loopy pipe leg cabinets
were ever offered with cam-lock spindles.

?
That machine has a D1-3 spindle. It was available in that time frame.
Ted

Regarding barrel profiling, how often do smiths do this now days. Barrels are usualy purchased already profiled.

Vlad

That's the only way I've ever seen it. I've profiled a couple barrels but it was mostly people with a barrel they decided was too heavy, or they wanted something custom done for wild-ass reasons. Another was a guy who just wanted his gun tinkered with because he felt it was better by "being customized"

But yea... I don't think you're losing anything by not being able to do a 32" barrel between centers. I only had a few years seeing customers at a couple gunsmith shops, and no one ever asked for a custom profile barrel on any rifles built. So long as you can put a spider on the back of the through bore, you're good to go for the either-end work.

Back