What's new
What's new

"New Condition" Heavy 10 on Ebay

Nice looking and a lot of machine compared to the price of many junk machines. But dings in ways and not saying what make of new chuck,repaint, new QC chart. I would have to look it over well for near $10K.
What does a Standard Modern that size sell for new or near new?
Buck

Do I see paint on what is usually a chrome tailstock handwheel? Oh I remember well the infamous Sante Fe Ave rebuilds (South El Monte, CA) Compounds ripped out by their roots, patched with bondo and given nice paint jobs by the roving bands of autobody guys.

They looked like a million dollars......

Sacramento was in comparison the backwater. Not saying it's not a clean lathe, but I wouldn't presume it's perfect either.

Not picking on SB, but in Sacramento right now you can buy an as new, factory reconditioned Monarch 10ee with VFD and DRO for $10,000; several thousands less than what the rebuild cost, last year. A pair of nice older 10ee's with tooling and DRO sold for $5500 the pair last week on Craigslist.

Cyclotronguy

Nice looking and a lot of machine compared to the price of many junk machines. But dings in ways and not saying what make of new chuck,repaint, new QC chart. I would have to look it over well for near $10K.
What does a Standard Modern that size sell for new or near new?
Buck

I don't have a current price, but the GSA government cost for a 13 x 34 Standard Modern lathe in 2008 was $ 9500. They used to make a smaller (11"?) lathe, but I don't know if that is still offered or not.

Question - If this is a late model 10L, why has the bed got the heavy, perpendicular 1940s-50s style webs between the way castings instead of the later crossed stiffeners??? The crossed webs came in about 1958-9 (stand to be corrected on the date, but I have photos of a '59 machine with the crossed webbing in the bed).

Also, the serial seems a little oddball for a late production machine - they normally have the various model/spec letters combined with the number, not just the number.
Skilly

Question - If this is a late model 10L, why has the bed got the heavy, perpendicular 1940s-50s style webs between the way castings instead of the later crossed stiffeners??? The crossed webs came in about 1958-9 (stand to be corrected on the date, but I have photos of a '59 machine with the crossed webbing in the bed).

I think they went back to the non-crossed beds at some point. They had alot of casting problems with those. I recently stripped a 1960 10L crossed bed, and found lots of lead on the outside of the bed, filling some noticable shrinkage where the crosses join the side walls.

allan

I actually saw a new in the crate southbend heavy ten about 6 years ago. I worked for a machinerey dealer and he was a stocking dealer. We had one in the crate he had the lathe for at least 15 years sitting in a conex container, he bought 10 of them and this was the last new one he had. It went to a collector in Sanfrancisco. He still has a pallet of early d60 kurt vises brand new in the boxes, 20 years old. Southbend refered the guy to us since we actually still had one in stock. Sold it for 12 grand.

Back