What's new
What's new

Capillary Oiler Felt Question

multiscepter

Aluminum
Hello everyone

What are the drawbacks of running the hard grey felt the entire length of the capillary oiler spring as opposed to having a two part felt arrangement as shown in the image? I'm asking because when I removed the two headstock capillary oilers there was separation between the two felts. If there is a functional reason for having two felt types is the common variety of wool acceptable for the lower felt? oil wick.jpg

The upper felt is harder so it will not wear out quickly. The lower felt is softer and will wick better. They should be touching. If they could have gotten away with one felt SBL would have done that from the beginning. There must be a reason.

Ed S

Ed S,
I agree there is a reason and I may have the answer, I get to thump my forehead on this one. The spring functions to maintain contact between the grey felt and the spindle shaft as contact surfaces wear away. With one cord of felt the purpose of the spring is nearly negated, the cord has some flex to it. The lower section of felt has the elongation capability that the harder grey cord lacks therefore allowing the spring to do its job.
John

Back