What's new
What's new

Carbide cutter bits

buggsy

Plastic
I just picked up a 16" South Bend lathe. I was wondering if these, 9 PCS. 5/8" INDEXABLE CARBIDE TURNING TOOL SET PT-5/8 **NEW** PIC# 2865 tool bits are useable on it.There are on e-bay.

9 PCS. 5/8" INDEXABLE CARBIDE TURNING TOOL SET PT-5/8 **NEW** PIC# 2865

I am not seeing a link, but a quick search showed this: 9 PCS. 5/8" INDEXABLE CARBIDE TURNING TOOL SET PT-5/8 **NEW** PIC# 2865 | eBay

Are you using a lantern post? Or quick change? Or some other? I have a 16, and I use a CXA Aloris. Most of the shanks I use are 3/4 or 1 inch. I think you could probably use 5/8 shank in the CXA, seems like there might be just enough adjustment to get the tips on center. I think I have a lantern around here some place, if I could find it I would measure and see what size it is..

Having said all that, in looking at the set, I think you would only see much use from a couple of the holders listed. Without knowing what you want to do, or what your skill and comfort levels are, I might suggest you forgo the convenience of a set like that and maybe just start with a couple of self-ground HSS cutters and maybe a parting blade. Indexable carbide is a whole universe unto itself, with as many opinions and recommendations as there are choices. I use several different types of carbide inserts on my lathe and only a few are like what is in that set.

Please tell me more about your 16.

Best of luck,

Marc

V8, thanks for the reply. I've got a CXA tool post. I don't do anything special with the lathe, mostly hobby stuff and an occasional repair for one of my pieces of equipment. What's the problem with using the carbide bits? Why are they difficult? I will be posting some pics when I finish the lathe.
Buggsy

Nothing at all wrong with carbide bits. They are great for any repeat task to the limit of the shape of the of bit. Carbide can be for steel, aluminium, cast iron or what with some grades and rake angles better for one or the other. Some sets might be better or lesser due to heat treat hardness and quality of the threads.

Even with carbide inset tooling often a special will be needed so a bench grinder and a HSS bit will fill that need.

Interesting that ad has a make offer

CXA works out perfectly on a 16, in my opinion. CXA1 and CXA2 both take up to a 3/4 shank, while CXA1S and 2S can take 1 inch. I would look for 3/4 tooling. I find that I sometimes have to shim the tool blocks up to get the cutter on center when I use smaller shanks, which is not very often these days.

Ah carbide inserts.. Difficult is maybe not the right word. I would say carbide is not always the most appropriate choice for a machine like a 16. Carbide works best at higher SFM rates than you can get from most 16's with smaller diameter parts. Don't get me wrong, I use carbide inserts in my 16 almost constantly. But you need to understand the limits of the machine and tooling in order to work comfortably.

I understand the appeal. There is an impression of quick work pace, ease of use, simple set up convenience to carbide inserts. Many people will justify the cost of carbide for those reasons. In practice carbide takes a bit of getting-the-hang-of.. I have been using insert tooling daily for many years. When I have to look up specs for something new I get a headache from the alphabet soup used to describe grades and styles of inserts. I have not found a magic, one insert does everything well solution. But I am still looking, and I do use HSS often as well.

If most of what you are doing is steel, you might look for a CCMT insert for turning and facing, and a parting blade that takes a GTN insert. If you do any aluminum, a CCGT insert goes in the same holder. These are positive rake and pretty easy to good results from, though I am sure you could ask 10 people and get 10 different answers.

If you give me an idea of what you are turning I can suggest what I might use in that situation.

Best,

Marc

I was going to Kennametal used to make a very good lathe indexable tooling line but just looked and perhaps $80 for one..For Varies materials and tasks it would cost a lot to tool up for any thing that might come through the door.

Still buying a set for $130 that may not be for you work is also a lot of money.

Yes they will work and a set is so very handy to have at prices like this.
The screw holes will strip out after some time as they are not real great steel and hardness.
Also best kept in a quick change holder as the top will indent from the hold down screws but you can flat file this away.
I love having these low price sets laying around.
Quite the deal if they actually come with the inserts.
Bob

Back