What's new
What's new

Carriage and tool slide play

Bluegrass1967

Plastic
Hi, i am a total newbie, and I bought a old southbend 9" lathe....I know nothing about them but I noticed there is a little play on the carriage and tool slide....is this normal? Or is a certain amount normal? It is about t he same on both. I would guess 1/16" - 1/8". If it is not normal, how can it be fixed or adjusted?

I have a few pics of lathe here

freesearchwiz.com/Soufhbend.html

The crossfeed nut, and compound rest nut, are the easiest and cheapest options to tighten it up. You'll find them on ebay. They are made from brass or bronze and are meant to wear faster than crossfeed screws themselves.

If the crossfeed screw, and compound rest screw threads are wore excessive, replacing those as well will tighten it up.

As a quick gauge, look at threads of crossfeed screw at very end, where no action takes place, verse the threads in the middle of screw.

Ok so it seems it can be fixed. When it is, should there be any play at all or is there always a certain amount of play?

There will be something, even with new parts. But you probably wont see it just by putting your hands on and pushing. You'll see maybe .005-.020" on dial as free play. But keep in mind when you engage power cross feed, it'll be driving in, so play wont be there with the work stable, youre driving against one end of the play, With gibs snug too helping. If other things are loose, like gibs, you could get chatter with the combination of loosness.

This is a positive suggestion: Please take the time to learn about machine tool basics and about your SB 9 before you attempt to 'adjust' anything by removing or altering the metal...

I say this because soooo many times a guy with no knowledge of these things will, out of ignorance, destroy a salvageable machine by "fixing" it.

I hope you will enjoy learning this crazy machine stuff, salvage your lathe and make a bunch of neat stuff.

Cheers,

Pete

There are many possible sources of play...

Suggest a good pic.

Could be as simple as the slotted screws coming loose.

Wear between the bushing and dial is common too, and is easily fixed.

Yes Pete,
I plan on doing just that. I want to learn all I can first. No sense in messing up a machine or material or me.

Back