What's new
What's new

Cheap toolpost

jayhawkman

Stainless
When ever I get a lathe in the shop the first thing I do is take the lantern toolpost off and throw it in my swap meet box. I am completely surprised how guys buy these things. I can sell complete ones for $30-$40 all day long. I have been putting phase II quick change toolpost on the lathes I fix up but they have jumped to about $150 although you can still find deals on ebay ever once in a while. Anyway I found a print for a really cool toolpost on the web a couple of weeks ago and made one to fit my logan by changing a couple of diamentions. This toolpost can fit any of the small lathes out there has a height adjustment and is also great if you are fixing up a lathe for resale and dont want to put out the buck and a half for a china quick change. I am not currently tring to sell these on ebay would thought I would test the water here. Asking $60 including shipping. I will machine the base to fit your lathe. If you are new to the hobby and are using a lantern toolpost this "rigid" toolpost will make your life alot easier or you are a buy and sell guy you know the value of a good toolpost. You can call me at 913 636 6107 if you have any questions. Thanks Mike

pics of toolpost

here are some pics

Attachments

• Picture 365.jpg
    Picture 365.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 2,235
  • Picture 366.jpg
    Picture 366.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 2,103
  • Picture 368.jpg
    Picture 368.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 2,323
  • Picture 369.jpg
    Picture 369.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 1,854
quick Q

Mike,

I like it. You're right it is simple. But can you tell me if the height adjustment is a PIA? It seems like it may be frustrating without the screw adjustment.

Food for thought;

You might want to consider other China tool post entries other than Phase II. I bought my BXA wedge for $120 including the 5 standard holders.

gp

height adjustment

Yeah the height adjustment is the set screw closest to the main bore. What I like about it is that it is alot more rigid then the phase II toopost (which I own and use on a regular basis) and it is american made. Which goes along way when you are using or selling old american iron.

A Phase II QC tool post and a bunch of inexpensive holders from CDCO did more to improve both my productivity and the quality of my work than anything else. Worth every penny. Now, your holder is nice, but is the assumption that one would have a bunch of holders to drop over the post? Only then does it make any sense at all, and I think going the CDCO route would still be cheaper in the long run. IMHO, lantern posts are the work of the devil, especially for low rake tooling like inserts, brazed carbide or just flat ground HSS. They ought to be called "chatter posts". I can't imagine that any knowledgeable person would pay actual money for one.

CH

I've always been partial to the "slow change" English tool post. which is a block of iron with a clamp block to pinch up any tool. Oh! every such tool post comes with a box of packing strips to aid in setting ht. ;-)

Very ridged, and great for back posts, parting blades and what not.

Just offering perspective on "anything but a lantern style";-)

In fac, I use Aloris and KDKs for everyday work ;-)

tool post

This tool post as pictured would be a starting point. A guy could make holders for it such as boring bar or parting tool holders. As most people do only turning facing threading and boring operations on small lathes I would think this would be a good option for starting out and for guys fixing one up for resale $90 bucks in your pocket.

Yeah the height adjustment is the set screw closest to the main bore. What I like about it is that it is alot more rigid then the phase II toopost (which I own and use on a regular basis) and it is american made. Which goes along way when you are using or selling old american iron.

....Please hold while Gary puts on his glasses. Sorry about that.

I get really grumpy when I see folks complaining and talking about...."jobs going to China..." and "the low quality of imported goods..." all the time doing nothing innovative themselves I for one am happy to see it.

I think it's a neat design too. Reminds me of the KRF toolpost that I used for many years (and still use occasionally). Huge improvement over the lantern post, and Mike's price sounds reasonable.

Paula

toolpost

Yeah I wish I could take credit for the design but I just changed it to fit the 9-12" lathes. I found it looking at modifications guys have done to mini lathes.

sb9 questions

Mike:
Nice stout design!
A few questions:
I apologize if you've already stated this-What bit size does the holder accommodate?
Do you need the the dimensions for an sb9 t nut?

and payment, can I pay you via US Postal money order?

Thanks in advance,
Del

Jay
I have one of those on my unimat DB100. It took forever to mill the tool slot with the unimat.

One comment though, there doesn't seem to be very much area bearing on the T-slot.

JohnW

Food for thought... or "borrowing"

Here is the toolpost set that came with my lathe. The previous owner had made his own. In this case, he made a central post for each. It could be used either way---loosen the holder and replace on the same post or unscrew the whole thing. I guess he found it easier to unscrew the whole thing.

It was not bad at all and used the same height adjustment and general idea as yours. I used them for awhile until I swapped for a Tripan system. The only thing you really lose is location. Height is easy; they were plenty stout.

If you could implement a simple location feature, that would take care of it. Like a slight interference thread on the height screw, and then a blind hole for the same screw to nest in on the base plate. It wouldn't need to be deep or particularly precise... just a simple hole to give general location within a few degrees.

That's my suggestion, any way ;)

Attachments

• IMG_2802.jpg
    IMG_2802.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 1,030
  • IMG_2849.jpg
    IMG_2849.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 1,155
  • IMG_2852.jpg
    IMG_2852.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 926
  • IMG_2854.jpg
    IMG_2854.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 937
toolpost

Yeah they could have more features and be a little more fancy but tring to keep them LOW cost is the focus. Really not tring to make the best toolholder out there. Tring to make a easy to use very low cost holder. The location comment does have merit though. And like I posted before this is a starting point. The guy buying the toolholder could spend a couple afternoons making serveral different improvements to it. Not having to figure out how to use and fight a lantern toolpost would be worth the cost.

I guess my question is:
*do you mean to make a QC toolpost
-or-
*an adjustable height toolholder without the need for shims only

I do like your idea of the latter---and then including a few simple instructions for the user to implement so it essentially becomes the former.

update

Well after getting a couple guys to request toolpost I have desided that I will be able to offer this at $65 with shipping but will not be able to machine the base for that price. If you need the base machined PM me. Thanks Mike

Back