What's new
What's new

Check out my new South Bend. What the ?

Uberspeed

Plastic
Hi everyone,

My buddy sold me this lathe that he had gotten at a bike shop he worked at. I got it for $100 and it seemed like a smoking deal! The catalog number is 422-Y which according to southbend is an old school 9"....like late 20s early 30s.

Here are some pics.
IMG_0034.jpg

I took the cross slide off cause there was ALOT of play in it. I also removed the tool holder and the end stock piece. I think it is this nut below. It is what the ACME screw threads into.
IMG_0037.jpg

Now for the weirdness. It has all kinds of covers over the belt pullies. I plan to take them off. They aren't supposed to be there are they?
IMG_0036.jpg

The flat belt has a custom spring tensioner with a wood idler using a timing belt!! It actually works pretty good but I am converting it back to a leather or composite belt though just to return this puppy back to "stock".
IMG_0035.jpg

The jaws in the chuck are really worn. What is the thought of the 1-1/2" - 8 Import chucks on eBay that sell for $125?

Also, I doubt my buddy oiled it and i'm not sure the oilers are even there. The spindle bearings seem to be worn. Are they replaceable or adjustable? I popped a bearing cap (closest to the chuck) and it is worn and appears to be a solid bronze bearing pressed into the cap. ANy ideas on that?

I want to tear this down and clean all the parts (too lazy to paint it). And take off all the guards and stuff. Put a new chuck on it and replace the ACME screw nut to the crossfeed and go. I want to make car parts with it so crazy precision isn't necessary really. Should I be worried about the slop in the bearings? The bed of it seems to not be worn very much which is cool.

Thanks!

Uberspeed,

Nice buy. I'd leave it the way it is. I am in the process of fitting an old serpentine belt from my blazer to run instead of the leather belt. The timing belt and tensioner may be noisy, but should be able to throw bigger chips.

I wouldn't remove the guards, ever been slapped in the face with a belt? A smart ass comment, but about how fast it would happen.

Does it have a tailstock and compound? You'll need those to do a valve job on the engine in the top picture.

I'm in Richfield just down the road.

Fin

Fin

Back