What's new
What's new

Chuck Jaw Play

no1boatguy

Plastic
Hi All

I have a 10" Buck adjust tru chuck and there is some movement side to side in the chuck jaws. You can feel the movement by hand. They are not tight like my other smaller chucks . I can 0 it out fine but wanted to know if others on this forum have encountered this issue. Not sure what problems it will cause. Jaws are not bell mouthed and seem to grip the work piece well. Any thoughts?

Does that movement go away when the chuck is tightened on something? Things that move must, by definition, have clearance to move....

Pete

No the chuck does not repeat. I set it with a precision test bar and then removed it and it was off 10 thou. I guess as long as I don't remove what I'm working on it would work out. I put a DTI on the chuck face and indicated against the jaw side and there was 5 thousandths
movement side to side. I was thinking about putting some shim material under the slides to tighten the jaws up but maybe best to just get new chuck

I think I will just look at finding another Buck 10" 2103R Adjust Tru. I already have the backing /mounting plate for the Buck. Problem is buck has not made this model chuck for awhile and so I find myself looking at used chucks. Really don't want to revisit the backing plate issue again so would like to stay with the 2103R. I lucked out and found the backing plate I have now on Ebay got it for 150.00. Prior to buying the one I now have I checked with buck at how much a 2 3/8 threaded back plate would cost they said $1000. Wow a new adjust tru 10" chuck with backing plate would be approaching 3 grand. I'm posting a few pictures of the back plate I have now and the chuck I'm looking at on Ebay. The chuck looks like it is new from the pictures. The guy that has it will sell it without the L1 back Plate for $750. Claims it is in excellent condition? I have also added a link to the chuck I am looking at on Ebay so any opinions thoughts would be appreciated

CLEAN! BUCK 1" THREE-JAW "ADJUST-TRU" LATHE CHUCK w/ L1 MOUNT - #213R | eBay

Buck Chuck Plate1.jpgBuck Chuck Plate2.jpgBuck Adjust Tru 10.jpg

As I posted earlier I have a backplate for the buck adjust tru 10". I would have to get a different back plate for a different brand.With that said Shars has there import brand that looks to be an exact copy of the buck I am looking at....but it is imported Chicom. The backplate I have would work with that chuck.

I'd keep it. 0.010" is sufficient for the majority of all lathe work that a South Bend will encounter; meaning it's not a jeweler's lathe or a 10EE. And the remaining work can be dialed in with the adjusting screws.

Suppose you value your time at $60/hr, or $1/min- it's going to take a lot of lathe time for the economics of a new chuck to work out.

Back