What's new
What's new

Chuck Lube?

Hello,

I cleaned out a 6" 3 jaw and need to know what to lube the internals with. Anybody have a favorite.

I like ATF on pretty much everything including the chuck. One lube to rule them all, is my motto, lol. Saves me from buying a thousand different things, and smells pleasant.

Any liquid lube will throw little droplets from pretty much 2 to 10 oclock in a circular pattern though, until most of the excess is gone. It works it way out of the pinions and such. So if you are parked next to a wall you might want to tack some card board up. Still preferable to grease imo.

Kitagawa makes a specific chuck grease intended for cnc with lower washout tendency in coolant. Thats what I use.

Not to be a pisser in any way, but what do you bet that Kitagawa does NOT make the lubricant they sell?

I'm sure it's good stuff, but my bet is that they buy the material packaged with their label. Petroleum specialties in small volume just doesn't make sense.

I use Lubri-plate grease. "It's better than it has to be" ;-)

a very light coating of NLGI-0 lubriplate.

Once done, set the lathe to the highest speed it will spin, stick a box over the chuck and let it rip. It keeps you from getting a stripe of grease the next time you use the machine.

I use WCS (Worldwide Chuck Services) grease. I comes in a grease gun cartridge, but I just use a paint brush and slather it on the parts. It doesn't sling off....at all. There from Aurora, Ohio. Home of the world famous
"Acme Thread".

Back