What's new
What's new

Collet Chuck for 9A

Arbo

Aluminum
I am kicking aroud the idea of adding a collet chuck to the arsenal of toys for my 9A. I'm not real crazy about the idea of a 5C, mostly because of the limiting factor for over/under size work. I understand that the ER collets have a wider range of travel for gripping in each size.

Getting to the proposal...I was thinking of an MT#3 to ER32 collet chuck, and fashioning a drawbar to hold it in the spindle. I know that I would lose the ability to pass long stock through the headstock, but I don't do production work. I don't see that as being a problem for me. Any comments, ideas, or suggestions are welcome.

Metalmaster, I looked over your yahoo link and was not able to locate the photos or description on your collet upgrade. I don't spend much time on Yahoo so I'm probably messing somthing up.

I have an old SB9B that I'd love to have any kind of collet capability on, but I don't want to start buying stuff until I'm sure what I need.

You have to be a Yahoo member to join the groups and see the pics. If anyone would like them emailed to them just ask. I have capations under the pics in the group with the measurements and setups. You need a piece of 3" bar stock about 8" long for the chuck...Bob [email protected]

I've looked into a thread on 5C collet chuck and common 5C. This eliminates the need for a drawbar. Otherwise the 3C and drawbar and nose(1 1/2 by 8tpi) collet holder works, but because of the drawbar, 1/2" and smaller rods can only be run through.

MA

Back