What's new
What's new

Collet options for SB 13"

Absolutely. You will need the adapter sleeve for the spindle along with the thread protector, and a drawbar/closer. There are two styles of closer, a handwheel and a lever action. Do you have any of these accessories? If you need pictures let me know.

Best Regards,

Marc

Marc, i have a handwheel from the MSC Lathe i owned.. pictures of those items would be great if they are convenient for you... also looking for a south bend collet holder ( the one that attaches to the ways ) did see one on ebay but it was for 2c collets..

thanks !

Joe

Depends on the bore of your spindle. There was a small bore 13, which cannot take the 5C directly. You could still use a collet chuck this them.

allan

I have been meaning to get you these pictures. I finally had a chance tonight to pull this off my 16 and snap a few pics. This is the handlever collet attachment along with the collet sleeve and the knock out nut (thread protector).

WP_20170216_001.jpgWP_20170216_002.jpgWP_20170216_003.jpg

As you might guess the knock out nut threads onto the spindle, then the collet sleeve pops into the end of the spindle. 5C collets go into the sleeve and thread into the tube. The lever lets you open and close the collet. It is pretty simple but a bit touchy to adjust so it works smoothly. Honestly, I think I might prefer a handwheel to draw in the collet. Just seems simpler to me.

I hope this helps.

Marc

I have been meaning to get you these pictures. I finally had a chance tonight to pull this off my 16 and snap a few pics. This is the handlever collet attachment along with the collet sleeve and the knock out nut (thread protector).

View attachment 191335View attachment 191336View attachment 191337

The lever lets you open and close the collet. It is pretty simple but a bit touchy to adjust so it works smoothly. Honestly, I think I might prefer a handwheel to draw in the collet. Just seems simpler to me.

I hope this helps.

Marc

I tend to agree - I have both, and unless I'm doing multiple similar parts, it seems easier to just use the handwheel closer - in fact I almost never use the lever closer. It's still pretty cool to have it tho! :-)

Bob

Ok... so found the collet chuck and thread protector... the collet closer is about 4-6 inches too short... will see if i can modify that when i get the lathe running... Least im closer !!!

Attachments

• 20170217_142512.jpg
    20170217_142512.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 229
  • 20170217_142640.jpg
    20170217_142640.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 168
While you can find the handwheel closers for sale pretty easily, you could make one if you are up for some internal threading. You can even find the tube already threaded on eBay, just cut it to length and add a wheel. Be a breeze to make one accurately if you have a 4 jaw.

Last edited:

Back