What's new
What's new

Collet setup identification

bluearc

Aluminum
In the box were these parts, along with collets, draw bar and closer, they are from a sb9 however The collar will not fit on all the way, I'm thinking maybe it is from an atlas 10

collar004.jpg

collar003.jpg

collar002.jpg

collar001.jpg

The collar will not fit on all the way as can be seen in three of the pics, I'm thinking maybe it is from an atlas 10 it only goes the first few threads, it is a few thousandths difference.
Also What is the brass bushing for,

thanks,

SB9 # 415-AV

Verify that it is 1 1/2 x 8 it could be slightly off. You could always chase the threads real quick with a boring bar or tap. As far as I know both lathes use 1 1/2 x 8 tpi spindles the only difference would be the register. If the brass piece is tapered on the O.D. and I.D. and fits in your spindle then it is most likely the adapter for the headstock taper to the collet taper.

If it's from an Atlas 10, it will fit a 9" south bend (except for large spindle heavy 9's). They are all 1-1/2x8.

Steve

The threads are 8 tpi however the diameter is a few thousandths less than 1 1/2, it screws on ok for the first few threads but then jams as can be seen in the pics,
the brass piece is not tapered and It doesn't fit anywhere on the spindle, maybe it just came in the box with the rest of the parts.

SB did some strange things. Even though the lathes have a 1 1/2 x 8 nose thread, some of them are not cut to the same depth on purpose. SB did this so you would have to buy their chucks and face plates, etc.

I have 9" wide bed with the same problem, a new nose guard and other chucks will not screw on all the way.

Two choices:

Chase the internal treads of any attachment until it fits your nose thread or chase the threads on the spindle.

ED S

Do the so called register diameter first.It is well known that SBL used an over sized diameter on this for the afore mentioned purpose..009 over is the nominal amount,but it could be more.Logan sends them out .015 over so no one has a problem.
Put the thing in the 4jaw and indicate the "register" in.You can now bore it to the diameter "and then some" of that neck of your spindle.The necks of both atlas and logan lathes that I have observed were 1.500 so what you have there probably came from one or the other.The SBL needs more room.

Back