What's new
What's new

collets?

sbburke

Plastic
I have a 9A Southbend lathe from 1947. Just finished the refurb. and just have to wire and level it. Anyway I'm about to consider a set of collets for it. I already own a set of 5C collet holders for the 3 and 4 jaw chucks. What I'm wondering, are the newer 32ER or 40ER collets any better than 5C or for that matter the original 3C ?

I would say that the ER collets might be a touch more accurate. However, they are usually not used for the same things. I guess I’m a little confused about the question. Are you wanting them for workholding or toolholding?

As I understand it 3C needs a draw tube reducing the size to 1/2 inch. ER 32 and 5c are available as spindle chucks and will give you whatever your spindle bore is.
I use a ER32 chuck from Chronos UK. Made for Boxford.
After a bit of fitting I'm happy with it.
Yngvar

Last edited:
Thank You guys for a timely response. The SB9A has a spindle with a #3 morse taper. The collet chucks that I've seen are available to fit in there as a complete set, as in chuck and 18 collets. I was just wondering if there is any advantage of the 5C over the ER 32 or 40, or vice-versa. Also as a newbie kinda guy (to machining) I don't understand the "32" in ER 32 or ER 40. Are they referring to 32 millimeters? Rich

The MT 3 collet holders are designed for tool holding only!
They don't have a through hole.
If you want to use ER collets look at the collet chuck aametalmaster built (the link in his post).
That is what you want!

Josh

Thank You guys for a timely response. The SB9A has a spindle with a #3 morse taper. The collet chucks that I've seen are available to fit in there as a complete set, as in chuck and 18 collets. I was just wondering if there is any advantage of the 5C over the ER 32 or 40, or vice-versa. Also as a newbie kinda guy (to machining) I don't understand the "32" in ER 32 or ER 40. Are they referring to 32 millimeters? Rich

Here is the lowdown on the ER series collets which might help with the question...Bob
ER40 Collets Individual Metric and Imperial Sizes - MariTool

Thank You, Bob. That is what I was wondering. And by the way that is a beautiful collet chuck. When I get set up and running, that will probably be one of my first or second of the 6000+ jobs that are developing for this old machine and old machinist wannabe. Rich

Back