What's new
What's new

colletts for the south bend 9A

robert102653

Aluminum
Could someone please tell me what are the size and type of collets that I can use for this lathe. After reading many posts I am nothing if not confused. Size and types and the advantages and or disadvantages of each it is a bit bewildering. I am looking to do this simple and affordable. I want to purchase (probably used) a set of collets that I can use on the South Bend model 9a. Lets call it average accuracy but well constructed.
I do not like buying something more than once if I can help it. Also,I think a simple hand wheel closer would be fine. I believe that one of these is not beyond my ability to fabricate but I would not mind finding one reasonably priced as well. What is an average rate to pay for a single collet..set of collets? I know these are newbie questions but hey I am a newbie:)
I guess what I am asking is for some experienced person that actually uses them, to boil it down to some firm recommendations and advice about collets for this machine. Thank you very much for your time.

Take a look on ebay- there's a bunch of them, including some genuine SB ones - prices vary. Two advantages of collets come to mind on the 9" SB; they are generally more accurate than a 3-jaw chuck, and if you need to run the spindle in reverse, there's no danger of a threaded chuck coming off. One possible disadvantage is that they come in certain sizes only, so in some cases they may not work for what you're doing and you'll have to go with a chuck.

If you can't find a closer on the bay, try Joe at Plaza Machinery - he got me a bunch of collets for my 10K at good prices, and he may have a hand wheel closer for your lathe.

I could be wrong, it wouldn't be the first time! But I think the 6K collet is for the 10K lathe only. The 10K spindle has a keyway that fits the collet, which I think is unique to the 10K.

Aahhhh yes, that's right. I'd forgotten that the 9A spindle didn't have the 'built-in' collet feature and required (!)
the adaptor. Thanks Blob!

Pete

Back