What's new
What's new

Confused

dullvinci

Cast Iron
I've been a member of this forum for some time, but something odd seems to have happened.
There are posts about: repairing lathes, rebuilding them, finding parts for them, etc.
Does anyone still use South Bends to make stuff? I can't remember the last show and tell or question about
how to perform some difficult operation. Can someone in South Bend Land explain?

I wonder the same thing, the last ones I saw being used was in 1956 and that was only because the Ikega wasn't on the floor yet! Same with the 10EE we had two of them needed two because if one wasn't down the other one was.

I probably did spend more time making mine work than making work on it. I have used it to make some parts, but nothing very complicated so far. Simple turning, facing, and boring operations have already been covered to death.

I believe thete is a sticky " What have you made" that has more abundance of projects on Southbends. General machining operations or questions related to, I would think to be in a general section rather than specific to a particular lathe.

I've been a member of this forum for some time, but something odd seems to have happened.
There are posts about: repairing lathes, rebuilding them, finding parts for them, etc.
Does anyone still use South Bends to make stuff? I can't remember the last show and tell or question about
how to perform some difficult operation. Can someone in South Bend Land explain?

Well, since you have been a member for some time you should know that a one word title that has nothing to do with anything will be locked in a heartbeat......

Much of the rest of this site, and many other sites besides, are about making things with a lathe. It is really quite logical that the south-bend specific stuff would be in this forum, and the lathe work stuff would be elsewhere. I rather like it that way, actually, because it keeps this forum focused, and I don't have to go looking in each lathe brand's forum to find hidden turning projects.

allan

I make a lot of stuff on my South Bend(s). However, I think you'll find that as a breed, the South Bend machinists here are not likely to trot out pictures of projects because that somehow seems like blowing your own horn.

I see a lot of South Bends showing up in the gunsmithing section. My SB13 almost always has something going on. Here's an Accuracy International AIAX barrel being chambered after cutting the M27x2.0 tenon.

YTuSxJ9cL_Stl_MYXgyTw84IHdZvn2emLHBqbfEPmgPA96Coprv02ZALg330USPYYz3ueJrP-RKk7Zb0mqmE19Nlx2CsHU3tYLSKCMJibP6bxzrg9XKMUhQ8mTQAgtn4Nh79rAILG_V5RiR3xn-B38VbnSttuqIFgiUdJpeFASsueFGyRcnWojcFWixNbW8-oJEaVmBblC-F2aRpD2DzHwWvchcQ4dLd_T3g6yqQI_XO9ZE2dVzql1WnC-JfReFhaS_if9rPYxtglcK80LCcZVTSAu2cBJfwKMG6PcndjxGSiW3Z9sriETQDAzxm5CRQ9mLp8iw68A8zK0r4Bq-9InaWzyC1l8oGNCdoR3q_m-sQUJ1S1LSMSvtcUxSjYPS4R57e0BNqxP5lscT98G9RgmclVC3f-XOSUG5oooVH89LWF_F6wChmXFr1tWk1W7hzYn2WK8RfuqNo3Y6EiwwBC6MhWot5Y7r9-n77pM-jF4TaIgxszJx_jc_X1fA6Mi-uOMQ1PV5MH3o5PrB4SV2vB_qMxmm3q41dhBpy1crxGC9rAn-ekR5l_lCF2ewKBtzrvnNMLl18xi9jK4MqA9o0c5_ABbrTC3DNFFareq4lswezgeS4jQ=w1191-h881-no

Here's the other end getting threaded for a 5/8x24 muzzle brake:

eapu-sjGwgffepJA-pEMLNBxGzk-N57VXLGMXsTMRUyIsg2BtoMgj0YJ2NOMZQhyjPyOZLT8CmzZDz8kdQ5y6SbnIkwBKyJ1mOLIAeMmh2SaBR4yPqj_HsXlLbfLL0f_bdXlsxDUtThXYO5qW-YVvKxajlcLeza0ZSaiQKfMaND-ymHlWa-aDkXmC5HD0qQM0tBzVrgQ1VmMjo9O32XKfdpkmi3ZtGRCtgO8JJCa3VCvXz7CbvsHH3WX8EMkkHOBxyQNIuIBrQH592wg1Ct6teelRri7oYiuSJF24prbFQdCoId9QqJe2X7cSrJ1mcblGFGC6_MMRRIZZd_FGwcKvGpLcGEhp7krleta-SRgukCL88L2LRCKmlbkriNCa6xKCpyOoK-uUpqW7kh6SybWL75RuVdL7D-2Ysb1BW5RKIeka4ZzVvHopcCq4Nf_wKQP6guZma_u9EhL1sBAsm4sJbW2jkH4WPGNgtaccwIgtTkxo3Mxu0vIRZ4q331Nxv6nOYF-awuA8HQwcK0zNxLZbfj7GbGfyWY44faDQRlh2fUb2UAUWakffJ4l7LoFK56nXBsHbO6dmgqaz3NxOQslZU9yY9HGAdsMFX4fMet67sLguKOsfQ=w1191-h882-no

Last edited:
Dull-

Don't forget there is a sticky at the very top of these pages, "what have you made with your SB". It is up to 38 pages. I think most people tend to put their projects in there, so everyone can see them and refer back if necessary. Just as Paula intended. :)

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...e-you-made-your-south-bend-129669/index2.html

For further reading, there is also a sticky "what have you made for your SB" where people use their SB's to make more stuff for their SB's , to make it easier to make yet more SB stuff, etc, etc.... :D

smt

Not sure about the other South Bend owners here, but I use my 16 almost everyday to make and repair all kinds of things. I run an automotive machine shop and the South Bend is one of the most frequently used machines. Maybe all the people using South Bends are too busy running their machines to post?

Marc

Back