What's new
What's new

Is that a crack I see?

I'm considering this SB 10L but in one of the sellers pics it looks like there a L-R crack under the "H" of hardened and above the red adj. screw. What do you see ?

South Bend Heavy 1 Lathe - tools - by owner - sale

The one that looks as if it were a weld patch in the gaps that has cracked? Support base, no? Not a critical area. Might even be just a truant lump of Bondo from the last time painted.

What I see of the bed and ways, OTOH, might want a closer look, lest there is one too many digits in the asking price, left side or right, depending.

The extra bed length is nice but much to high given, bare bones (no extra tooling), light rusting on ways plus no attempt to clean up. Poss crack which you pointed out (good eye), what looks like a blatant flip for exorbitant profit. I highly doubt he will come down on price until it doesn't sell for awhile. I don't know what is reasonable in your area though.

Here is a better buy though still optimistically priced. For that money personally I'd be wanting a bigger lathe.

South bend heavy 1 lathe - tools - by owner - sale

Not a crack in the metal, but a crack in the paint over the dividing line between the foot and the bed. But I agree with the rest- seems a bit steep on the price, even with camlock spindle and longer bed.

allan

I don't think that's a casting crack. But regardless, that's way too much money for that lathe. It might be a good deal at $1500. If I wanted to ask a king's ransom for a used lathe, I'd at least buff it up some and clean all the surface rust off it and maybe, just maybe oil the thing so it would look like it might run. That asking price is getting close to what you'd pay for a new "ChiCom" lathe which could be perfectly satisfactory in most respects. (Not as pleasant to run though)

Not a crack at all. Many have said the price is too high but, if I didn't already have two heavy 10's I would buy it.
80"s vintage, D1-4, 4.5 hardened bed for less than 4000.00 is a great deal anywhere across the South. As far as the surface rust, with a touch of oil and a razor blade it will cleanup leaving only staining that will not effect accuracy.
A machine like that will make money with very little done to it.

Agreed, that is just a crack in the paint, the bed is bolted to that riser. Wish I had the 4.5 bed and camlock spindle on mine, but then mine was free. For that kind of money, you should be able to find a nice gear head lathe.
Be prepared to drive to L.A.

Back