What's new
What's new

cross slide lead screw and nut

jmm03

Hot Rolled
Hello all,I recently acquired a South Bend 10" Model CLK 187R.I contacted LeBlonde for parts and was dismayed at the extreme prices they quoted (I really did not know what to expect)Would it be possible to fabricate my own screw and nut for a cross slide(has a taper attachment)? If this isnot really feasible any suggestions would be appreciated.Thanks in advance.Jim McGuinness

Hi There,

Depending on your skill level, you could fabricate a suitable replacement. What price did Leblound quote?

There is another source for cross feed screws and nuts. Try Miller Machine & Fabrication:

http://www.millermachineandfabrication.com/products.htm#southbend

Also, you can call Rose at PartsWorks Inc. Her phone number is 574-289-7781.

I have no connection with either of them. Just heard good things.

I hope this helps. Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb

I don't know how to tell you to search for it, but this has been covered a number of times. There was even a link to a university shop where the instructor fixed a whole bunch of SB cross slides by splicing on a new screw to the old crank assembly. (bore one, reduce the shaft on the other, press together with loctite or light interference fit, dowel if necessary). Not hard to do. There are a number of makers of precision rolled, or ground leadscrew stock, RH or LH. MSC carries it in at least 2 grades. Several options for matching nuts. The nuts may need to be turned down and will have to be adapted to the application.

You might check on the Yahoo SB group. It may be archived there, or someone there may have a better memory.

Good Luck!
smt

Hi There,

Like I said, you could fabricate (or in other words, splice in a section of Acme threaded rod) and repair your cross slide. The biggest problem is finding the 7/16" x 10 tpi. LH threaded rod. I think you could repair it with 1/2" x 10 tpi. LH rod. That is vailable from several sources (like MSC and McMaster-Carr). At one time, Plaza Machinery was offering 7/16" x 10 tpi. LH Acme threaded rod. You could check with them.

Or you could check out the other sources for complete assemblies. It is all in what you feel comfortable with.

Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb

I also recently called LeBlond regarding old lathe parts and when they quoted me a number that was more than twice the number I had got from Rose at PartsWorks about a year ago, I asked about the relationship between the companies. The guy basically said that PartsWorks had been selling old old SBL stock, but that was illegal since LeBlond had purchased exclusive parts rights from SBL. There was also some question as to whether PartsWorks obtained their stock legally. In any event, he said the lawyers were still working the details out, but that he believed PartsWorks was no longer selling SB lathe parts.

As for the seemingly outrageous parts, he said it was largely because the part in question would be custom made to order -- they had no stock on the item. Another item I asked about they did actually have one in stock, and the price was actually reasonable.

Hi all,thanks much for the help.These boards are a great help and i've learned a great deal about machines and their repair,in addition to reading some very entertaining stories.LeBlond wanted $865.00 for a taper attachment type screw and nut,Miller Machinery,$200.If anyone can steer me to someone who has a spare top gearguard and a cross slide handle i'd appreciate it.Thanks again,jim

Hi jmm03,

An friend of mine has just the parts you need. He ran into a lot of difficulty obtaining parts, and like you was flabbergasted with the outrageous pricing, so he decided to contract with a local machine shop and have the screws ground to match the originals. He can be reached at:
Lee's Machinery
4089 N Ridge Rd
Perry, OH 44081-9755
Phone: (440) 259-2222

Hope this helps.........

Thanks Johnny,what was your friends name if i call up to find out about the leadscrew and nut?Do you happen to remember how much he wants for a set?Regards,jim

Back