What's new
What's new

Cutler Hammer Wiring to SB 1/2 Motor

Dan1900

Aluminum
The way my motor came wired only allows the lathe to run in forward regardless of switch position. I am trying to re-wire the switch / box to be able to properly run in reverse. I did some searching but the drawings I found did not make all that much sense. Can anyone with the same switch/motor help out?

Also: am I supposed to have a connection box alongside the switch? My last lathe had all the wires from the motor / plug wire directly into the switch without another box.

IMG_3611.jpgIMG_3612.jpgIMG_3613.jpgIMG_3620.jpgIMG_3621.jpg

If you don't have one you will need a wiring diagram for your switch. What voltage are you planning to run?

3pdt-110-howell.gif

Above is an image of a diagram.

1. The blue wires represent the jumpers already present on your switch.
2. The purple wire is a jumper you will have to add.
3. L2 (white wire) from the power cord goes to a terminal on the switch, then to the motor, it is always connected.
4. The ground wire (green) grounds the switch body, and then goes on to ground the motor case, it is always connected.
5. L1 (black wire) comes from the cord to the switch pole closest to the handle. It is switched.
6. The yellow wires inside the motor are extended to the switch, I used yellow wire for both.
7. If the rotation is backwards from what you want, reverse the two yellow wires at the switch.

allan

Allan: thank you, this worked. Where in the switch do you recommend I attach the ground?

Back