What's new
What's new

Cyclone Info

Hood

Stainless
My friend in the USA bought a South Bend Cyclone sight unseen from eBay, he wont be picking it up until the end of January. I saw mention that the lathe may not be conventional in its axis drives and that it may be hydraulic rather than motors and ballscrews. Does anyone know? or have any other info on it? I have searched the net and cant find any info on it at all other than mention of its name on South Bend website and a few places that have one in their plant lists.
Thanks for any responses
Hood

cyclone

The Cyclone has ball screws and servo motors with SCR drives. The frist ones had a Actron II control. later ones came with Fanuc or Allen Bradley contols.
The Cyclone was ahead of its time(1978 was the first one). It had a 6000 rpm spindle , 200 ipm rapid feed rates, .000010" resolution and .000020" repeatablity.
But like many of South Bends new products, it was too expensive and didn't get the attention it needed.
I have some manuals for the early ones if that is what you need
Let me know
TED
[email protected]

Ted
That will be music to his ears as he was dreading it being hydraulic. I will let him see this thread and he may be interested in the manuals but ill let him contact you himself.
Thanks for your reply, its much appreciated.
Hood

Back