What's new
What's new

D1-4 Spindle - Need Help!

SLK001

Stainless
I need to fabricated a spindle sleeve for a D1-4 spindle. Problem is, is that I don't have access to a D1-4 spindled machine. However, I have been able to gleen the following information from the internet. If you have a D1-4, can you verify this info?

The first drawing if of the important dimensions that I believe a D1-4 has:

D1-4 Spindle.jpg

This next drawing is a D1-4 with a spindle sleeve inserted. I have information that a D1-4 faceplate is 1.5" through the middle. With the "nose" of the spindle extending 7/16" beyond the flat of the spindle, this means that to be flush with the outside of the faceplate, the sleeve needs to extend beyond the mouth of the spindle by 1-1/16". This the the dimension that is in question. Can someone confirm these?

D1-4 Spindle with Sleeve.jpg

What you have are not the important dimensions for a D1-4 spindle but the internal taper dimensions from sources unknown. Problem with this is machine tool manufacturers have some leeway on final bore and internal taper size to suit their design. An example of this would be a lathe with a D1-4 nose and a 1 3/8" through bore because the bearings used were too small for a 1 1/2" through bore.
I realize that you don't have this option but it is needed; to take measurements from the spindle you're going to be using.
Dan

I should have said that this spindle is for the heavy 10, 14.5, 16 and 24 SB lathes. The outside spindle of the sleeve is a "large MT#3". I already have the tapers cut on blanks - I need to know where to actually part them. All that I need now is how far out from the mouth of the spindle to part the blanks.

The spindle hole in a d1-4 is certainly larger than morse #3? D

Yes - it is a proprietary taper that SB used in some of their spindles. The actual taper is 0.160" over 3-3/16" (which is the same as an MT#3), but the diameter at the large end (at the spindle mouth) is ~1.628". The taper is shorter than an MT#3 at ~2-7/16", so the diameter at the smaller end is ~1.507".

What I need is how far the sleeve extends beyond the mouth of the spindle on a D1-4 spindle type.

Just make it too long so the end user can face it off to the needed length...they will probably be making their own protector/drive plate so length may vary.

I need to fabricated a spindle sleeve for a D1-4 spindle. Problem is, is that I don't have access to a D1-4 spindled machine. However, I have been able to gleen the following information from the internet. If you have a D1-4, can you verify this info?

The first drawing if of the important dimensions that I believe a D1-4 has:

View attachment 224253

This next drawing is a D1-4 with a spindle sleeve inserted. I have information that a D1-4 faceplate is 1.5" through the middle. With the "nose" of the spindle extending 7/16" beyond the flat of the spindle, this means that to be flush with the outside of the faceplate, the sleeve needs to extend beyond the mouth of the spindle by 1-1/16". This the the dimension that is in question. Can someone confirm these?

View attachment 224254

The stick out from the spindle is 1”
Ted

Back