What's new
What's new

Restoring or using?

cooncatbob

Hot Rolled
Don't get me wrong I like making chips on my lathe.
But the restoration was one of the most enjoyable projects I've ever undertook.
There was the finding of a lathe (thanks Dennis), getting it home. The research, finding this site and meeting the people here who could answer my questions. Taking the late apart and restoring it piece by piece and watching it come back to life. Hunting for the missing accessories and then finally being able to turn it on and have everything work as it should.
I think it might be time for a new project?? LOL
Bob.

I'm with you Bob...loved every minute of the 16 weeks it took me to bring mine back to show room condition and then enjoy the fun of using it.

Howard

The refurbishment of my Heavy 10 is like this....

But first, a comparison of lathe (or other machinery) restorations to those of "classic" automobiles or other vehicles:

1. There are those that bring the vehicle back to factory new condition, with the intent to return to the fun of driving it.

2. There are those who restore way beyond the factory new condtion with the intent of competition showing and/or displaying only. The Concours de Elegance at Pebble Beach, for example. NO STREET DRIVING ALLOWED.... Trailering to those contests and shows only.

My lathe will be like example no.1 above. Restore the lathe as close (within reasonable cost restraints) as I can to a factory new showroom condition.... But maybe with a bit more polish to the parts. And then, put it back to work doing what it was intended to do. In my case, making parts for models and prototype work.

My next (hopefully) restoration project? Another restoration of my late father's 1965 Mustang. This time a body off restore.

alg 4884

Owe Mustangs and lathes.

Well now it does my heart good to hear these stories. Restoration had been a part of my life since I was a kid. Well making things anyway. Hey I made a water pump from a tuna can the fan motor from my brothers 1940 Chevy heater and some bits and pieces. Well it pumped 60 gallons an hour and would lift water 5 feet on the inlet side. All this when I was ten years old. My dad who was a logger thought I was crazy. I by the way I think he has been proved correct on this point."-)))

Now as to Mustangs I have restore 7 of them and I still have the 1966 GT 350 Shelby I did in 1996. So if you have any questions on a 65 mustang ask away.

Now who is looking for a nice 9 inch 1936 workshop 415 to restore?? I have a very nice one that I got from the family of the original purchaser. fact I unbolted it from the bench it was installed on in Salem Oregon in 1936. I have since replaced a broken toothless back bear and installed a late model spindle in it. Other than that its all original with the original fixed counter shaft.

I agree with Bob as I get a lot more pleasure out of the restoration than I do running the lathes. The fact that I a have some later model stuff in the home shop may be the reason."-))

Now I do have one lathe that I picked up a few years ago up in Pualup Washington. This is all original and its a 1922 or 23 9 Jr. on full floor legs. Its in original finish and has never been taken apart other than to remove the legs for transport. I have all the change gears for it also but no drive. this should go to someone that would like a nice restoration project. I have just to many and as I have done the 1927 Jr. and a 1928 tool room lathe I don't need another early Jr. I do have a R series Jr. that was built the last year of production of the Jr. lathes. This one is a 1937. In 1935 or 36 SB really upgraded the 9 Jr. They used the R series tool room head stock saddle and cross slide. They also built a Jr. version of the double wall apron. Bet not many of you have ever seen on other than in a catalog. This was really a nice lathe with the hardened and ground spindle. Was a much heavier built lathe than early Jr. models.

So much for the rambling I need to go get the final coat of paint on a Logan 11 inch head stock. See and you guys thought that I worked on SB lathes.

Turk

Dennis:

A little off topic here re: Mustangs.... But:

My Dad worked in all aspects of the business for the Ford dealers in the Los Angeles area. 30-years until his medically forced early retirement during the late 1970's. Cars were also my Dad's hobby, he also owned and restored a few Mustangs.... And I grew up working on them with him.

The '65 Mustang that I mentioned was mainly my Dad's work car. Been in the family since it was a colt (new). Dad enjoyed driving it and wasn't about to stop. Wore the car out three times, hence two previous rebuilds/restores. I also used that Mustang when I was going to school, and some of my own youthful travels and trips. Two weeks before his death four years ago, just a month shy of his 89th birthday, he was planning for and making lists of what what was needed for the latest rebuild. Right now the car is undrivable.... Transmissions seals, worn out engine, tires are shot, etc. The last time it was regularly used was in early 2002, before my father fell ill. Other than a original engine block that came with the car when it was new and the usually/normally replaced mechanical parts, the vinyl top, the driver's seat uphostery, and post-factory repaintings, everything on the car is original except for the hubcaps (origionals were stolen off the car in 1971).

During the mid-'80's, I had the chance to buy a friend's '66 Shelby GT-350. Was mostly torn down for restore at the time. At the time I had so many other expenses I was unable to buy it. He only wanted around $750 for it. Think of what a restored one is worth today.... Who knew they would reach their present prices? Still kicking myself for not buying the thing! Oh, well....

***** By the way.... I'm looking for a Ford 289 engine block to use as the base for the "new" engine for the Mustang rebuild.... Hopefuly one that once tested, won't have any cracks and with enough material in the cylinders left to re-bore them. *****

BACK TO MACHINERY..... I also wish I still had my first mill, a Rotex horizontal (with it's factory vertical milling head) that I bought 30-years ago to restore to go along with my Heavy 10. Trying to build up a new shop. Older, smaller, restored machines to go with new, bigger stuff, including a CNC.

EDITED....

alg4884

[ 10-13-2007, 10:16 PM: Message edited by: alg4884 ]

I see my restoration-really just a serious cleaning-of my new SB to be similar to school. I had to do what was necessary to graduate, but I hated every minute of it and made no attempt to be the best. If the lathe was clean and had been used in the past couple of decades, then I would be making chips with it right now.

The SB defunkification is an oppurtunity for me to start having all of my equipment painted the same color. Not that it really matters, but I like to be organized, and having eveyrthing the same color would be a nice mental boost for me. So the new lathe will be the first machine to be the offcial machinery color of Stokeld's Custom Guns, Inc. My shop is not "operating room clean," but she is cleaner than many (most?) shops out there. For me, being clean and organized leads to higher quality work and a general sense of order. But make no mistake about it-everything in the shop is for using and not for looks. Solvents, oils, dents, bumps, and bangs scar everything and I really don't care.

[ 10-14-2007, 07:09 PM: Message edited by: Marc_Stokeld ]

Back