What's new
What's new

Wooden Collet Rack & Box for 13" x 5'

John in OH

Aluminum
I recently posted a message requesting information regarding my latest toy - a 13" x 5' underdrive Series "R" lathe. See post below titled, "Series - "O" 13" Underdrive Info?" with last post date of 10-11-07.

In that thread, interest was expressed regarding the wooden collet rack, box and drawer that was mounted on this lathe. As requested, I have posted a photo of this wooden accessory that I almost tossed in the trash!

IMG_0173.jpg

Unfortunately, the rack is damaged .... a chunk is missing from the left rear corner and the right side of the rack is split. However, the box and drawer are both in good condition.

Let me know if you have any questions. I'm also still interested in any information that can be provided regarding the Series "R" lathe itself .... specs, instruction manual, parts booklet, etc.

Thanks!

Very nice, think you could take enough measurements that I could make one for my 9? (I do more with wood than metal)

Got a picture of the bottom? How about several of the drawer?

Are the bottom and top of the box solid pieces that the sides fit into?

Is the box dovetailed?

How is the box mounted to the vertical bar?

Thanks
Jim

Hi

If you go to my flicker site you will see what one looks like for a 9 inch. The 13 inch is bigger and I think the one they built for the 16 inch was bigger yet. The catalogs list three different size collet boxes back in the 20's. Jack Howell made my box for me and he may have all the dimensions or I can give them to you on the 9 inch.

As to your original for heaven sakes don't discard it it can be repaired and restored to almost like new. I am sure there are some wood butchers out there that can do this with ease.

Its fantastic after all these years of looking for one you come up with an almost pristine one."-)))

http://www.flickr.com/photos/45888076@N00/?saved=1

Turk

Dennis,

"As to your original for heaven sakes don't discard it it can be repaired and restored to almost like new. I am sure there are some wood butchers out there that can do this with ease."

Now you are stepping on my toes...wood butchers!
I happen to enjoy "butchering" wood. My gosh...a guy can't even cut up a tree around here!(snicker) :D :D :D

Sorry Dennis, I just had to poke one at you.

On the serious side could we all get some REAL measurements, close up pics...man this "wood" would be a neat project for us "wood butchers"

Howard (butcher#: 3,978,765,076 and counting)

Hi Bob Howard and John

I just sent a picture of Johns collet box to Jack Howell and he said almost a piece of cake to repair the 13 inch collet box. He said the top collet rack can be replaced with the same quarter sawn oak but matching the finish would be a pain. It would almost have to be stripped and then refinished after repairs. John you just have to find one of the (wood butcher:))))) guys to do this for you.

As to the 9 inch collet box Bob yes that is quarter swan oak. Not sure were Jack got it but I think he made two prototypes before committing his oak to the box.

If enough guys are interested I can have my draftsman make a set of cad drawings for the 9 inch box. We already have a set of drawings we made from an original set of SB blue prints for one of the styles of wood benches SB sold for the 9 and 11 inch lathes. They are on file with the Yahoo group but I can send anyone a copy by email if they wont a set. Bob got a set of these drawings before we had them compete and that was the basis for his just great bench he built. Owe by the way Bob on the bench I am starting to assemble we took your suggestion and I made the legs 4 inches longer. That should get the lathe up to the hight of normal people today.

Turk

Dennis,

I would be interested in the drawings for the bench and 9 inch collet box.

I was bummed to see you were in the UK the week I was near McMinnville. I was out with the wife and kids visiting her relatives. Since I don't like flying, don't know when I'll be back there.

My wife says I can visit your shop, all I have to do is fly out there with her. :D

Rocco

Dennis,

If your draftsman makes a set of CAD drawings of John's collet box, I'm willing to pay for a set...this could turn out to be a similar successful project like the brass gear chart that Joe came up with.

Interested guy #1

Hi Howard

For this to happen John would have to send me the collet box. I think I can get Juan to do a set of drawings if John is willing to send me the box. I also have a source for some fancy wood work and just maybe I could talk my fiend into fabbing up the parts for this box. He works in a furniture factory here locally and they have a marvelous supply of wood. He is the one that made up all the parts to my SB bench I am going to assembly. The best way to get these boxes made up would have him fab the parts and send them out as a knock down packaged like SB did the bench drawers I got from Rose.

Turk

I built one of those collett boxes--received the basic dimensions from Jack, IIRC, and then modified the dimensions a tad. Made mine from red oak--have not mounted it to my lathe (9A) as yet...haven't decided whether I'll attach to the metal cab or the ways either. I'll take a pic and post it...

Would definitely be a great project for us, Howard.

Topic: I've been restoring had woodworking tools for about 11 years--if I 'factory' restore, I usually don't use the tool--but if I restore to near factory 'looks' but I want functionality, I don't necessarily replate the lever cap of the hand plane, for example. I just restored a Disston D-23 from 1917--its a finish skew-back saw with 12 ppi and chip carved apple handle--cuts like a hot knife in butter, but the blade is not factory in appearance--would have had to regrind the blade and re-etched it...this saw is gorgeous anyway, so the blade was progressively cleaned from 200 grit wet-dry to 600 grit.

Joe

Dennis,

Either way we all can benefit...personally I would like to build my own (that's just because I'm a "wood butcher to begin with) but I'd be willing to buy a kit to assemble. I've restored wooden antique furniture for myself and friends. I've also built replicas of antique furniture.
In any case, Dennis, let's see how it falls out.

Has anyone heard from John since this "flurry" of excitement started this morning?

Howard

Dennis,

I would also be interested in the drawings for the box and bench.

I think that I'll build the box from scratch and probably use a non-traditional wood. I'm thinking that curly cherry would look nice, and it ages well with oil.

Jim another wood butcher

Dennis,

I also have plans for a South Bend Lathe bench from SBL. I don't know if they are the same as yours. The plan is Cabinet Bench Type "F", Style 60"(for 9" & 11" lathes), Reference 9-11-1627 from 9-23-36(year).
Rob

Hi All

OK you guys that wont copy's of the bench drawings I have just email me at [email protected]. I will be going up to work on Monday and as the collet box for my 9 inch is on display there I will have my draftsman get started on it. John if you wont your collet box repaired Jack Howell said he would be happy to do it and if it comes to me first we can do a set of drawings for it also. I think it would be neat if we can get drawings for these because if you have looked at my flicker site the box really makes a nice looking setup on one of these old lathes.

The box I have was a gift from Jack Howell early on in our relationship but now we are fast friends and we do a lot for each other.

Let me know John if your interested in having your box repaired.

Turk

To All,

Sorry that I have not had the opportunity to reply to the questions and suggestions posted today regarding the collet rack & box. Its been a busy weekend so far with a long honey-do list as we are leaving on vacation Tuesday for a couple of weeks.

I haven't yet had time to properly think through all the suggestions offered, but I do want to share whatever information can be gained from this box. As I had mentioned earlier, I had no idea the box would be of such interest, although, "swells" suggested that such would be the case.

Dennis, you are right! Mr. Howell's fine collet box mounted on your beautiful lathe does look quite nice!

Barring a middle-of-the-night epiphany, here's what I propose (assuming no one is dying to start building a box immediately!).... when I get back from vacation in 2 weeks, I'll try to do a proper job of taking some useful photos. Also, I can either CAD up the box or have one of the designers at work do it for me. This will also provide an opportunity for me to study how the box is assembled and, perhaps, identify the wood used in its construction.

If printed at half scale, I can probably fit the drawings on a set of 8.5 x 11 sheets, scan them to .pdf format and then email them along with the .jpg photos. Or, send it all by US mail, if desired. I'd prefer not to email the AutoCad files as our AutoCad system at work has been extensively "customized" and could cause others problems with printing.

I'm open to suggestions!

Oh, ... don't forget that I'm still interested in any information that could be provided regarding the 1936 Series "R" 13x5 that carried this collet box for so many years (specifications, instructions, parts manual, general info, etc.)

Thanks, John

Hi John,

"If printed at half scale, I can probably fit the drawings on a set of 8.5 x 11 sheets, scan them to .pdf format and then email them along with the .jpg photos. Or, send it all by US mail, if desired."
Please put me on your list for pictures, drawings, and details. Set up a price for the
whole package and I will be glad to send you a money order, certified check or personal check.
If you can combine the photos & drawings in a .pdf file that would be great. I have Adobe
Acrobat Pro 8.1. You can wait for payment from me then email the file. An alternate suggestion
is to burn a copy of all on a CD and mail. CD mailers are available at the Post Office.

We appreciate your willingness to share with the
rest of us. Have a nice vacation!

Howard

Back