What's new
What's new

Defining what people call junk

m-lud

Stainless
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg I tried to delete the second picture.
This air motor and the sleeve aluminum was in some boxes of items a shop owner friend offered before he threw it in the dumpster.
I am intending to make a sleeve with a bracket to mount it on my 16" SB for grinding. I have found this air motor made by Sioux tools in a air router. $965.00 on ebay. I have a feeling this was some sort of router. It has a kenmetal 3/8 collet. 1/2and 1/4" are available.
I have some lathe experience but am not an expert. Are air tool grinders good on a lathe or is there too much movement within the thrust tolerances in the air motor.
The air motor is tight and humms like new but these tools build heat therefore have some built in clearance that could causes movement.
Is this a bad Idea?
If so it would make a hefty hand held. They sell a side handle for it.
The angle plate was also in the JUNK.
About 40 lbs if high speed end mills drills and taps. This junk wasn't the shop toss offs. Some still in the tube. Lots of cap screws. I have a unipunch grinder that is great for sharpening the end,end mill cutting edges.
Tom went to an auction and had to take all these boxes of junk with a purchase and didn't want to mess with the sorting. He referred to it as junk.
Being a friend I showed him what some of it was worth on ebay and offered to return it. He said no it's yours

Angle plates - good, bad, or indifferent - can always find SOME use.

Endmills in tubes can be put-backs for handy storage, may easily be as trashed as loose ones. Or not.

Any air grinder that works at all can remove metal. That doesn't make it a suitable candidate for a TP grinder. Few are. Most are decidedly NOT. Cleaning up after stick-weld, rather. IF you even have air enough. Some - the most effective ones - are right greedy.

A shop owner who has had that "stuff" on a shelf for 10 years it's Junk. To a hobbyist it's cool and will love it as a gift. I have yet to have found a Hobbyist that describes any gift or a rust bucket machine, junk. (LOL) It could be buried in a field and their eyes light up and think, hmmm what a deal...Go on Ebay and an old air grinder
used air grinder | eBay

Most would not buy a home made angle block with crap welding like that one.

A shop owner who has had that "stuff" on a shelf for 10 years it's Junk. To a hobbyist it's cool and will love it as a gift. I have yet to have found a Hobbyist that describes any gift or a rust bucket machine, junk. (LOL) It could be buried in a field and their eyes light up and think, hmmm what a deal...Go on Ebay and an old air grinder
used air grinder | eBay

Most would not buy a home made angle block with crap welding like that one.

Buy? Sell?

NFW!

Got's to USE stuff like this, ELSE trade it for even funkier-looking junk.

"Market" for it don't justify even flat-rate box fees.

:)

I use the small die grinders all the time for body work. I have enough air. Ingersol Rand type 30-35 cfm. I got tired of running short I in the bead blast cabinet.
I'll use the air motor as a large hand held die grinder then.
That aluminum fixture looked to bulky when I thought about how to mount it. Grinding usually being a finishing operation I was a little concerned about the air tool maintaining consistent speed also.
The boxes of junk was worth hauling home. Lots of hold down t-bolts and clamps
A good mix of lathe tool holders and high speed and carbide bits, nurler's
It will save me some money if I get it sorted in categories. If it's all mix that you have to dig through a mixed mess it's wasted time. Organization has been a problem lately. I brought too much into the new building without a plan
Thanks for the input.

There are machinist that consider themselves gods. I'm not exactly what you would consider a hobbyist. That's an assumption. There are a lot of trades out there that require as much skill and knowledge as a machinist. Don't flatter yourself. Some of this machinery is not where my experience is.
The exaggeration of a machine half buried was a funny. Lol.
There are some swelled heads on here.
The hobbyist that wants to rebuild a machine someone else considers junk is his right. How does that effect you. You get your kicks easily. Getting self righteous and being a sarcastic critic speaks loudly but says nothing. Be proud of yourself. Diamond. Lol.

The market for used tooling is it's sold in lots on ebay. That's the only to make it worth while. I used ebay to show my machinist friend what the value was. I would throw it away before selling it on ebay. I'm retired.
Ebay is a fair market value for some things but is getting out of touch. I use it for reference and do buy some things after doing my homework.
The angle bracket is not precision tolling bu could assist in mounting parts

I use the small die grinders all the time for body work. I have enough air. Ingersol Rand type 30-35 cfm. I got tired of running short I in the bead blast cabinet.
I'll use the air motor as a large hand held die grinder then.
That aluminum fixture looked to bulky when I thought about how to mount it. Grinding usually being a finishing operation I was a little concerned about the air tool maintaining consistent speed also.
The boxes of junk was worth hauling home. Lots of hold down t-bolts and clamps
A good mix of lathe tool holders and high speed and carbide bits, nurler's
It will save me some money if I get it sorted in categories. If it's all mix that you have to dig through a mixed mess it's wasted time. Organization has been a problem lately. I brought too much into the new building without a plan
Thanks for the input.

Much the same treasure/Hell box here. Overflow onto the carport and there's still a spare 10EE spindle in the dining room. Wish that were ALL I have to move out of there, too!

Got about five or six of the "pencil" die grinders. Not the world's more durable of critters, the cheap ones. Two came in the door rigged onto an antique H.B. Preis Panto engraver I fancy for curved milling ops off a hand-cut and finished template. Manual feed on all 3 workholding axes, plus the panto ratios and rise/fall at the spindle, it is right handy as a nano-mill, and way less costly.

Endmills? Tubes of 'em, grooved trays as well.

Having been vaccinated, late 1950's, early 1960's, against BirdPort virus by several preventive injections of horizontal, AKA "real" mills, I put far more value on my more modest collection of milling cutters.

:)

Ebay is a fair market value for some things but is getting out of touch.
Aye. Success does seem to breed greed as to expectations.

Oh, welll.. I've never seen the need - milled or ground was good enough - but if you want to hand-SCRAPE that angle plate....

:D

The tooling and parts were not the junk box on the shelf in the corner. When they got the shop ready for auction they put a lot of the smaller parts in boxes to sell in lots so they aren't holding up five parts at a time. Some will save me a bunch.
The air tool is in as good as any I use in my shop daily. I'll flush until clean oil is coming out of the exhaust then get years of good use.

Monarchist. I have a set of angle plates given to me by a machinist friend. He makes trim dies for castings. I worked part time there for a few years. He said they were good but to big for his use. They were collecting dust. Anyway they would be a good project to get the indicator out and see how close they are and do my homework and hand scrape them into tolerance. I am doing everything forward from here in life to keep the mind and body going forward. Recliners kill more old men than anything else.

Sorry about my rant. There a few groups on here that look for anything on posts to pounce on and kick someone with destructive remarks. Usually they haven't read the full thread. Here I go again. Lol

There are machinist that consider themselves gods. I'm not exactly what you would consider a hobbyist. That's an assumption. There are a lot of trades out there that require as much skill and knowledge as a machinist. Don't flatter yourself. Some of this machinery is not where my experience is.
The exaggeration of a machine half buried was a funny. Lol.
There are some swelled heads on here.
The hobbyist that wants to rebuild a machine someone else considers junk is his right. How does that effect you. You get your kicks easily. Getting self righteous and being a sarcastic critic speaks loudly but says nothing. Be proud of yourself. Diamond. Lol.

The market for used tooling is it's sold in lots on ebay. That's the only to make it worth while. I used ebay to show my machinist friend what the value was. I would throw it away before selling it on ebay. I'm retired.
Ebay is a fair market value for some things but is getting out of touch. I use it for reference and do buy some things after doing my homework.

You need to get a sense of humor Sir, I suppose I could have said Machinists and Hobbyists ....You asked for our opinion and I gave mine...I didn't write it to make fun of you. Think I went to Ebay to make fun of you? Some of those used air grinders were over $200.00 I didn't mean that to be junk as you must think I meant it to be.. To me I don't need one....

I have tossed a lot of junk like that over the years. Not worth the room to store it. I have a lot more junk I will be taking to the scrap yard in the spring. By the time I was going to list it on Ebay, pay them 10% pay Pay Pal 3.5% spend and hour boxing it up and taking it to the post office. Selling a box of junk for $10.00 and spending $40.00 to handle it and time to type and add photo's....a Dumpster is more appealing to me.

Now that scrap prices are controlled by the Russians and Chinese it hardly pays to sell it at scrap yard per ton. I tried selling it on Ebay after I bought a tool crib at an auction so I am an expert collector of junk. Not trying to make fun of you!! I asked my son who dropped in for a visit last summer to help me move some "deals" I bought at and auction and he said he was in a hurry. I said "son help me move it now or after I die you will have to do it alone" He came out and helped me, but also said "Dad when you die, Im going to use that Bob Cat and get a Dumpster to clear out all this crap" So to him all my treasures are junk. He is an IT guy.

You right Richard. The ebay thing isn't for me either.
I guess I did misunderstood your intended humor. I read back through some of your post and don't see in you what some of those words I used.
I'll open up my mind and make sure I'm on track with my comment.
It's all about mutual respect with me and I do have a sense of humor. Mine is so dry that I have to be careful in person let alone over a typed conservation.
I had a boss call me in after a meeting and asked me if I was serious about what I said in a meeting. I said no I was joking. He said from now on give me a sign that your not serious. So yes I understand and hope there are no hard feelings.
The air tool will make a good hand held grinder. 1.5 hp I may not be able to hang on. Lol

View attachment 218639View attachment 218640View attachment 218641View attachment 218642 I tried to delete the second picture.
This air motor and the sleeve aluminum was in some boxes of items a shop owner friend offered before he threw it in the dumpster.
I am intending to make a sleeve with a bracket to mount it on my 16" SB for grinding. I have found this air motor made by Sioux tools in a air router. $965.00 on ebay. I have a feeling this was some sort of router. It has a kenmetal 3/8 collet. 1/2and 1/4" are available.
I have some lathe experience but am not an expert. Are air tool grinders good on a lathe or is there too much movement within the thrust tolerances in the air motor.
The air motor is tight and humms like new but these tools build heat therefore have some built in clearance that could causes movement.
Is this a bad Idea?
If so it would make a hefty hand held. They sell a side handle for it.
The angle plate was also in the JUNK.
About 40 lbs if high speed end mills drills and taps. This junk wasn't the shop toss offs. Some still in the tube. Lots of cap screws. I have a unipunch grinder that is great for sharpening the end,end mill cutting edges.
Tom went to an auction and had to take all these boxes of junk with a purchase and didn't want to mess with the sorting. He referred to it as junk.
Being a friend I showed him what some of it was worth on ebay and offered to return it. He said no it's yours

Not particularly familiar with those exact tools. But just generally speaking, air tools are of better use to mechanics, not machinists or continuous use on a machine.

First air tools are extremely noisy compared to alternatives. Second, continuous operation will usually drain air tank pressure below optimal levels.

Air power gives really nice power in short bursts, and portability suits mechanics climbing all over vehicles, heavy equipment, etc without fear of electric shock or fire hazard, be it working in rain, around gasoline or whatever there may be.

Working in a shop, on stationary machines, quiet is good. Air tools, and compressors constantly running to keep up, not so good. Its pretty irritating to need to wear hearing protection, when you could be jamming to some tunes, or having a conversation at normal speaking levels.

Not to be a negative Nelly, but though you can use a grinder on a lathe, most will advise against it, as grit can get past wipers and wreck ways. So super extra protection is usually done when grinding on lathe to cover exposed lathe sections and parts and catch grit. Air tools blow air. . .everywhere.

If you notice, most industrial type grinders have blower attachments in the direction sparks fly. The blowers are actually suckers that attempt to catch the dust and grit to help keep from killing guys and other machines with the dust. Many people will cover other machines when grinding as well. So I'd probably advise against air grinders on a lathe.

Bill,

We found our common roots....you are pack rat brother :).

dee
;-D

Pack rat with discerning tastes, thank, you.... younger brother! Just ask among the PM community.

Old Skewl (Ox, yah there?) muscle-not-battery powered metrology a special interest, among others. Did relent and grab an ELECTRIC Mahr-Federal 20 millionths-capable Maximess the other day from another PM member.

Prolly have to convert it to steam and run that off scrap wood, bad as I am about keeping fresh batteries about.... NOT.

:D

Defining what you call junk depends on the scenario/person. As a business owner, ideally anything that doesn't make money should be tossed. If you ordered 10,000 92mm long M12 capscrews for a job and used 3000, the other 7k would be taking up space and doing nothing. I might toss those, or give them away in smaller packs to anyone that needed them. Ditto for tooling or machinery that's past its sell-by date. There's nothing worse than fumbling with worn, damaged or unfortunately designed or constructed tools. Doesn't work? Causes grief? Get it the f*ck outta here! Many shop owners are pack rats by design, the shops look like their own personal barn, and the business 'flourishes' (withers rather) accordingly.

Now, with that said I can't gather boxes fast enough when I'm given lab equipment, particularly analytic and microscopy components (scanning tunnel microscope in pieces, anyone?). But, if I was running a well-established biotech concern you can bet there'd be no room for such 'junk'.;)

When I worked for a machinerey dealer we would go to shops that were filled with tooling and equipment that they would give us. The cost to dispose of it was just to high it was cheaper to give it away. I once had 10,000 endmills some on here will remember me selling them for a dollar each. I once asked a shop owner why he was giving us all the machines and tooling in a part of his factory that he closed up. He said he figured there might be 30 grand worth of stuff in the building and if he had an auction he might get 10 grand after he splits it with the auctioneer. He didnt want a bunch of idoits running around the factory, They grossed 9 million a year so he was giving us a few hours worth of revenue

Air tools are mechanic tools in general. I believe that big aluminum fixture is for mounting it in some type of machine. I work on old cars as a hobby also. I will repurpose the tool as a hand held.
I really don't want to do much grinding in my lathe,abrasives are destructive but sometimes you need to get that finish.
I live out in the sticks on five acres and play with old cars also. My retirement world is different than most.I'm still working but for my entertainment. The tooling will save me plenty. Storage isn't a problem. I'll pitch or give away what I don't need or isn't good. There's enough jobber drills to last me years. Two Like new tapmattic tapping heads. My kind of junk.

image.jpg
This was in the mix. I'm not sure of quality but looks pretty good. There may be ,or not be other holders in the mix but found used boring bar holder for about 50 online. I know from reading that a Aloris is the jewel.

Off topic but don't want to start a thread over a simple question.
I will be making a new crossfeed screw for my Cincinnati lathe on my south bend 16.
They sell threaded acme rod that could be cut and attached to the existing arbor. There are two selections in the clearance/tolerances of the threaded rod.
Would a single point screw cut be better for the fact that you can ease into a snug fit. 1" 5 acme. I bought a 1" 5 tap for the nut. Same question for the nut. Is single point cutting better.
It comes down to the manufactured tolerances being loose for this particular use.
I've seen and read threads on making crossfeed screws but didn't address this subject
I know this isn't a rookie job but I'm Somewhere in between in experience. Looking forward to it.
My simple question got extended. I guess I'm long winded.
Critical comments welcome. I've settled down:)

Back