What's new
What's new

Desperately need a backplate for my 9"

Bartholomew10

Plastic
Hallo all,
This is a plea from England where quite a lot of SB's were sent in past years.
I have bought a well kept 9" (Bed Number:104427) but which is missing its 3-jaw Chuck. I have now bought a nice 5" Taylor Chuck, but without a Backplate. The Lathe has been stripped and repainted and looks fine - but, a huge BUT! - is effectively useless at the moment as I also don't have a 4-jaw either.

I realise that it would cost a fair bit to post to the UK, but has anyone a spare suitable 1-1/2" x 8tpi Backplate they could sell me please?

A further question for the group - does anyone know if the 1-1/2" x 8tpi Atlas 9" lathe has exactly the same spindle 'nose' dimensions, or might the Register dimension be slightly different. If they are interchangeable between these lathes then that might be easier to source a replacement.

I have tried to use An English 9" Boxford Backplate (The Boxford being an English 'copy' of the South bend)but they manufactured them with an English thread profile at 55 degrees, whereas the US S.B. is at 60 degrees, so quickly jams!
Any and all advice will be very welcome,

Regards for now,

Richard Bartholomew ([email protected])

Hallo all,
This is a plea from England where quite a lot of SB's were sent in past years.
I have bought a well kept 9" (Bed Number:104427) but which is missing its 3-jaw Chuck. I have now bought a nice 5" Taylor Chuck, but without a Backplate. The Lathe has been stripped and repainted and looks fine - but, a huge BUT! - is effectively useless at the moment as I also don't have a 4-jaw either.

I realise that it would cost a fair bit to post to the UK, but has anyone a spare suitable 1-1/2" x 8tpi Backplate they could sell me please?

A further question for the group - does anyone know if the 1-1/2" x 8tpi Atlas 9" lathe has exactly the same spindle 'nose' dimensions, or might the Register dimension be slightly different. If they are interchangeable between these lathes then that might be easier to source a replacement.

I have tried to use An English 9" Boxford Backplate (The Boxford being an English 'copy' of the South bend)but they manufactured them with an English thread profile at 55 degrees, whereas the US S.B. is at 60 degrees, so quickly jams!
Any and all advice will be very welcome,

Regards for now,

Richard Bartholomew ([email protected])

Google MSC Direct. They have lots of them and I am sure would be happy to sell you one.

Arc EuroTrade offer a 5" backplate to fit Boxford-Denford-Southbend for £20. Steel rather than cast iron unfortunately but will do the job. Arc have a good reputation for supplying decent equipment with a good price performance ratio.

Probably need to alter the register bore tho'. Screw it on tight wrong way round and have at it with a sharp tool. Should come out true enough. Its the flat face at the front of the spindle contacting the corresponding flat on the backplate which does the work. If you are worried buy two backplates. Operate on the first one. Fit it, true the front face. Bolt the second one to it, shimming if need be to correct for any error between front face and register as supplied, and do a real nice job on its register.

Southbend spindle register is 1.509" nominal diameter so backplate should be bored to 1.510 - 1.511. Boxford are much closer to nominal 1.500. I think the Boxford factory plate I modified for a Southbend was about 1.502 OD. 30 + years back so might be mistaken.

Difference between 55° and 60° thread form isn't important at these sizes. It shouldn't be a close fit anyway.

Is it a proper Taylor taper scroll chuck http://www.lathes.co.uk/taylor/page7.html that you have? Really nice, grips like a bolshie badger or pissed off pit bull, but not ideal as your one and only general purpose 3 jaw.

Clive

Back