What's new
What's new

Dia. of spindle bearing surfaces on a 1928 wide 9"

RS1

Plastic
Hi,
I'm trying to restore my old 1928 southbend 9" O series lathe, it came as a basket case... I want to hard chrome the bearing journals on the worn spindle... The bearing surfaces are looking very sorry from years of dirt and the lack of lube... I was wondering if anyone may have have the proper bearing journal dia. for both large and small surfaces... It would be nice to get this old jewel back in running order...

Thanks
Bob

I can't say that these are the proper values, but I have 3 of these spindles from 9" junior lathes, and these are the measurements I'm getting with a caliper:

Spindle1: Small Bearing = 1.124", Large Bearing = 1.373"
Spindle2: Small Bearing = 1.124", Large Bearing = 1.372"
Spindle3: Small Bearing = 1.124", Large Bearing = 1.374"

So I'm guessing that the "proper" dimensions might be:

Small bearing = (1-1/8") - 0.001" for clearance
Large bearing = (1-3/8") - 0.001" for clearance

Or maybe the original spec was dead on for 1-1/8" and 1-3/8", and the missing 0.001" I'm seeing is just wear. Not sure.

Cheers

do you still have a spindle for the 9 in. junior ?

Bob, keep in mind, there are at least 2 different spindle lengths for the Wide 9 in these years,
12 and 12-3/4 inches.
If your 0 series has bed feet on the front of the head stock it is probably the longer spindle.

Steve

Hi everyone; i'm a new member and could use some help with my 1928 south bend 9 in.junior lathe, catalog # 22-rc, ser.# 37222. Has 4 1/2 ft. Bed. I was wondering if anyone has a parts interchange for the head stock spindle and bronze bushings, or the best way to repair a worn out spindle and bushings, or does anyone have a spindle and bushings for sale ? Thanks JERRY

Back