What's new
What's new

Dial sleeve pin size?

John, if this is the one your asking about its 3/32 x 5/8 long, at least mine is. My SB is a 13" 1960.................Rick

IMAG0311.jpg

Rick,

Yeah, that's the one. I guess it's not tapered? I think I found mine but it is real loose and falls out if it's not held in by the dial. I think I am missing several thrust washers, if there are supposed to be two sets of bearings on the shaft. Mine is a 74 dated and the parts look like yours. The school it was at previously must have lost some parts and substituted a big brass washer to take up the slack in the worn brass nut and the missing washers.

I *thought* I had all the parts until tonight when I started cleaning and reassembling it!!

It looks like your sleeve has been modified like mine, with the holes opened up.

John, step it up to a 1/8 if needed, not an issue, and the pin in mine was a spring pin, not a taper pin. Yes 2 sets of bearings. Your not far away, let me know if I can assist. Best..............Rick

Rick, I don't have a parts list for the 13" but that W5/8 bearing looks like over kill for the job and may have been installed by a previous owner.
The solid brass washer John has should do the job just as well.

Rick, I don't have a parts list for the 13" but that W5/8 bearing looks like over kill for the job and may have been installed by a previous owner.
The solid brass washer John has should do the job just as well.

.........I'll check into that Ken, there was 2 sets on the shaft, the large one may have snuck into the picture.................Rick

There are two sets on my cross slide shaft, a larger one on the "outside" and a smaller one on the "inside". I am missing one of the races for the smaller bearing so I am going to try Motion Industries to see if they have a replacement.

There are two sets on my cross slide shaft, a larger one on the "outside" and a smaller one on the "inside". I am missing one of the races for the smaller bearing so I am going to try Motion Industries to see if they have a replacement.

.............thats what I have on mine John, McMastercarr has them as well, ship fast.....................Rick

Not knowing the size of your 'waffer' bearing, Reid has some like that. I bought a "nice' bearing for a puller tool I made for Harley repair. While looking for the right size for that tool, I found a thrust bearing which solved a problem with another tool I was building. The thrust bearing in your pics looks very much like the one I got from Reid.
I believe the e-dress is Industrial Supplies from Reid Supply Anyway, they may have something you could replace that bearing with.

Your local bearing or auto supplier can get them for you.

********* number is Wx/x where x/x is the size of the shaft it fits, 1/2. 9/16, 5/8 etc.

From the replies it would seem that's what was used stock on the 13", why I don't know.

Back