What's new
What's new

Dials on SB 13

TGTool

Titanium
I have a query from a potential customer asking if I can make replacement dials for a SB 13 he recently acquired that is missing dials and handles from both crossfeed and compound. Generally this isn't a problem. If I have a photo and dimensions of a worn or damaged dial, or perhaps just necessary dimensions and pitch I'll do it.

I asked for photos of the present condition, which he sent, along with the note that these say New Era. The photo of fiducial area shows it reading in both Imperial and Metric with a hollow that presumably held the transposing gears.

A short search hasn't turned up anything on a manufacturer. Anyone here have experience or a lead for more detail. I'm disinclined to re-engineer and make up the whole works so the obvious kludge is to just fill the hole and give him an imperial only dial that looks pretty much like the original but I'll take any comments or points before digging in.

Brad Jacobs the moderator of the SB section. He has a hand crank in his profile pic, if I were on my laptop I'd send his profile link.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

I have a query from a potential customer asking if I can make replacement dials for a SB 13 he recently acquired that is missing dials and handles from both crossfeed and compound. Generally this isn't a problem. If I have a photo and dimensions of a worn or damaged dial, or perhaps just necessary dimensions and pitch I'll do it.

I asked for photos of the present condition, which he sent, along with the note that these say New Era. The photo of fiducial area shows it reading in both Imperial and Metric with a hollow that presumably held the transposing gears.

A short search hasn't turned up anything on a manufacturer. Anyone here have experience or a lead for more detail. I'm disinclined to re-engineer and make up the whole works so the obvious kludge is to just fill the hole and give him an imperial only dial that looks pretty much like the original but I'll take any comments or points before digging in.

I was contacted by the same guy. He says he needs dials, but he need much more :smoking:
I have the set of NEW ERA dials he needs, but he also needs the front screw, bearings, and ball crank for the CF(he has a taper attachment), and the ball crank for the compound ( in addition to the dials and adaptors for the In/Metric dials). I also have the standard dials too.
Ted

Hi All!
Happy 2017!
That was me looking for parts!

This is my first lathe so be gentle. Just joined this forum!

Just trying to hunt down parts for the most practical/reasonable price.

Hi All!
Happy 2017!
That was me looking for parts!

This is my first lathe so be gentle. Just joined this forum!

Just trying to hunt down parts for the most practical/reasonable price.

No reason to be hard on you. I'm afraid getting the machine in good usable condition will beat you up badly enough.

You'll need the ball handles in any case. Not much problem since they're available from multiple sources in various sizes. It might involve boring to a different size broaching or adapting for a different key size. Not too hard, but just an annoying job to have to do for what should be trivial.

The dial fix is a harder problem. One approach it to find and reinstall the New Era components you're missing. It will be a nice installation when done but might cost more than you expect, particularly when the problem describes itself as just needing dials and handles.

Short of getting New Era back in working order, you could revert to just a plain dial. Even this will be a little more complex than just a dial since it would require some adaptation and replacing or re-manufacturing missing parts.

My recommendation would be to work with Ted to restore the New Era setup if you can stand it. He knows how they go together and what parts are required.

Thanks!
You guys are very helpful and knowledge is impressive.

Im sure I could get a set of cheap ball handles off ebay and make them fit. The dials and front screw are different problems.

This is looking to be more expensive than I had first guessed,I'll just chalk this up to part of my learning curve. I missed a compound and crossfeed setup on ebay. They went for WAYYYYYYY more than I imagined.

Alright Ted, watcha got?

Are new era dials the Ferrari of dials compared to originals?

Oddly enough, I see for sale a saddle and tapper attachment on EBAY with the a few crossfeed pieces that I need.
His serial number from his machine is 624TKR8 I have lathe number 625TKR8. What are the odds of that?

Anyone looking for a tapper attachment? I just want a few pieces from ebay item.

Oddly enough, I see for sale a saddle and tapper attachment on EBAY with the a few crossfeed pieces that I need.
His serial number from his machine is 624TKR8 I have lathe number 625TKR8. What are the odds of that?

Anyone looking for a tapper attachment? I just want a few pieces from ebay item.

The one eBay has a small dial. Yours probably did to, but now you have the bushing for a large dial.
I would wait on that. I should be able to come up with all the parts soon for the large dial set up, with or without the In/Metic dials
Ted

Back