What's new
What's new

Digital Readout to my South Bend 10k

Norsksea

Aluminum
Recently finished adding a digital readout with custom length glass scales.
KIMG1879sm.jpg
This one shows compound and cross slide scales
KIMG1881sm.jpg
This one shows the scale cover clearance under the compound.
KIMG1869sm.jpg
The first scale I installed was the bed scale that I can take pictures of anymore since I turned the bed around.
KIMG1681sm.jpg
the last one with out cover showing connection to cross slide.
KIMG1670sm.jpg

First I figured out the size needed for scale travel with 1/4 longer on each end. It was easy to remove the wipers and glass from the housing. Then I cut off the aluminum housing with a bandsaw on one end then finished the end on the mill. I used the endcap with temp bushing to pilot the drilled and tapped the end for the endcap. I then measured the glass scale and cut them to size with a cheap wet diamond saw I had from Harbor Freight I did not take any pictures of this process.
This is of the cross slide after I machined, drilled and tapped all surfaces at the same time on my manual Bridgeport.
KIMG1658sm.jpg
This one showing the back of the cross slide.
KIMG1656sm.jpg
I also machined the compound with the bottom half .005 deeper for clearance for the scale housing.
KIMG1659sm.jpg
I used 1/16 stainless steel under the compound flush with it's bottom. This one shows compound upside down connected to scale assembly.
KIMG1858sm.jpg

This picture shows the clearance with the compound scale mounted.
KIMG1866sm.jpg
This one shows the scale clearance traveling thought cross slide.
KIMG1867sm.jpg
I modified quick change mounts for Harley Davidson saddle bags to mount the cross slide.
KIMG1694sm.jpg
I wanted quick change to remove the scale and remount it if needed to adjust the gib screws. This one shows the scale off and turned around and laying on top of the cross slide. Notice the rear QC is turned on an angle so when installed they work against each other and a zip tie hold the front one down.
KIMG1722sm.jpg
Last one shows the scale transducer mounted to cross slide in between rails.
KIMG1724sm.jpg

Nice job.
Don't think I've ever seen a scale fitted to the compound on any lathe before.

I did my 9A a couple of years ago. Z axis about the same as you, fastened to the existing holes for the taper attachment. I didn't want to lose space on either side of the saddle for the X axis ( I do a lot of steady rest work with the tailstock ), so that scale extends fully behind the lathe, off an indicated square bar of HSS stock). I lost only 1/4" of space on the right side of the saddle this way.

It does take some thought on these lathes, but the precision is well worth it, not to mention the word "backlash" disappearing from the vocabulary!

Do you have a picture with the compound rotated to an angle, such as for threading? Seems like your compound scale is going to make it pretty hard to thread up to a face or chuck.

Nice job.
Don't think I've ever seen a scale fitted to the compound on any lathe before.

I did my 9A a couple of years ago. Z axis about the same as you, fastened to the existing holes for the taper attachment. I didn't want to lose space on either side of the saddle for the X axis ( I do a lot of steady rest work with the tailstock ), so that scale extends fully behind the lathe, off an indicated square bar of HSS stock). I lost only 1/4" of space on the right side of the saddle this way.

It does take some thought on these lathes, but the precision is well worth it, not to mention the word "backlash" disappearing from the vocabulary!

Do you have a pic of how you did the X axis.

I set my compound with a test bar and indicator to 90 like it is in the picture always. I like using the compound with the saddle locked to do fine work. I do my threading with my threading bar in the front of the wedge tool post.

Here is a close up of the quick change mounts to the cross slide. I had to create clearance of .750 so I could tighten the hex set screw to secure compound.
KIMG1708sm.jpg
Here is the mount adapter for the cross slide scale transducer.
KIMG1706sm.jpg
here is a picture of the scale transducer when I finished milling it to fit in between the bed rails. Until I finished it I wasn't sure it would work or that I ruined the part.
KIMG1700sm.jpg
I had to mill this side and add a spacer relocating the hole offset away from the rail.
KIMG1713sm.jpg
the last one I had to mill the matching angle to the bed and actually went through the stainless steel flex cover but not the wires going through it.
KIMG1712sm.jpg

Back