What's new
What's new

Do I have everything to do my 9C (615) to 9A conversion ?

Roguehk

Plastic
Can I use my same banjo and lead screw supports? do i need to turn them down if not and if that's the case is that the correct thing to do?

I know I have to shorten the lead screw for my lathe as it's got a 3' bed.

items I have purchased for the conversion:

SOUTH BEND LATHE 9" & 10K QUICK CHANGE GEARBOX 40T CHANGE STUD GEAR

s-l1600.jpgs-l1600.jpg

South Bend lathe 9 carriage apron assembly

s-l1600 (1).jpg

New 9" South Bend Lathe 20 Tooth Stud Gear for Quick Change Gearbox 20T

s-l1600 (2).jpg

New Drive Bearing Kit For South Bend Lathe 9" & 10k

New Spindle Take-up Bearing Kit for 9" & 10k South Bend Lathe Upgrade

South Bend 9" Lathe Thread Dial Indicator

9" SOUTH BEND LATHE MODEL A , QUICK CHANGE GEAR BOX , COMPLETE
s-l1600 (3).jpg

South Bend 9A 10K Lathe Quick Change Gear Box Lead Screw & Drive Gear 42" Bed

s-l1600 (4).jpg

9 and 10k are interchangeable. 9 and 10L/R are not. That's a 10L/R gearbox.

You can resell it or since the seller listed it incorrectly there may be recourse through eBay.

The apron you have isn't the same as the one on that 9A. Look at the half nut lever for example. The physical size isn't the same, as well as the inner workings.

I believe him. That apron is from a 9" indeed. The problem for you is that it is from a wide nine or Junior. It will not work on a newer SB 9" because they are not built the same. If yours is a wide nine then you have a good saddle but the gearbox will not work. Some pics of yours would be helpful.

New message from: brian201468 (1,141Red Star)
I'm not planning on shipping until Saturday AM, so if you can let me know by then. Its not for a heavy 10. As I mentioned, I personally disassembled the 9 it came off of. It was an early 9, from the 1930's. The serial number on the bed 61532.
Your previous message

"From the PM forum..
Quote Originally Posted by iwananew10K View Post
You are screwed if that's the apron you bought...it is for a "heavy 10"

what? i thought all 9/10 aprons were inter changeable?

South Bend lathe 9 carriage apron assembly | eBay

check out the auction please.

----

The apron you have isn't the same as the one on that 9A. Look at the half nut lever for example. The physical size isn't the same, as well as the inner workings."

So uhm I'm not sure what to do about this now. I don't want to buy the wrong item.
brian201468:

It may fit a 10K also, but it came off of a 9. I personally disassembled the 9 it came off of. It was an early (1930's I believe) 9, that had a quick change gear box with one lever.
Your previous message

Brian I was just informed that the apron is for a 10K

do you know if this is correct and you listed it in correctly?

my thread:
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...15-9a-conversion-339579/?posted=1#post3034851

seller is saying "The serial number on the bed 61532.

The serial number means it was the 61,532 lathe produced. They were numbered individually from 1910 to 1947 in sequential order of production. "

I believe him. That apron is from a 9" indeed. The problem for you is that it is from a wide nine or Junior. It will not work on a newer SB 9" because they are not built the same. If yours is a wide nine then you have a good saddle but the gearbox will not work. Some pics of yours would be helpful.

Many years ago I went to look at a 9" and was surprised to see it had an apron like my 10L only smaller. I believe it, too, was from 1938. I don't know what model 9 it was, but, it was a 9.

I don't want to discourage you, but, in my opinion, you will have way more time and money invested than if you just went and bought a 9A. Maybe you are in a "lathe desert" with not many available. In any event, good luck. PB

I just don't get it. Why does anyone waste time trying to "upgrade" a SB? No mater what you do it will be a wimpy ass little toy lathe. Spend your time and money on a real lathe, Monarch, Lodge and shiply or LeBlond, Then you will have somtehing that can actually do some work.

I just don't get it. Why does anyone waste time trying to "upgrade" a SB? No mater what you do it will be a wimpy ass little toy lathe. Spend your time and money on a real lathe, Monarch, Lodge and shiply or LeBlond, Then you will have somtehing that can actually do some work.
And your point of posting on the Southbend sub forum is?

What a load of bollocks!

Bench lathes are for making small things easily. A larger lathe can make small parts,but it is as much work as making bigger parts. If you are making little things the workshop lathe will be a pleasure. If you are making bigger things it will be difficult.
Get what is known as a turning gear for the C model and it will put a fine finish on the work. If you have all the gears,that machine will make threads that can't be made on a quick change lathe. Read up on compounding of gears,then decide whether you want to modify that lathe.
I have two 13" lathes,but my B model workshop lathe will always be there for those little special jobs.

Back