What's new
What's new

Do People really buy this stuff

I say the same thing about video games, fancy pocket phones, and stylish clothing

But, I accept that each person will set a value on what is important to them.

Hmm. If I owned a really nice 10" lathe with the smaller spindle, and could
upgrade by spending that much money, I'd at least think about it.

I was talking to a guy the other day who bought a south bend lathe and forgot to lock the tailstock down when he hauled it home. I'll bet he is in the market for a used one now.

Big B

I suspect his price reflects the availability in the middle of the desert north east of Phoenix AZ.

I paid much less for a nice one I purchased to bring a heavy 10 turret lathe back to life.

You will need one if you don't keep your bearings oiled.

Bill

I suspect his price reflects the availability in the middle of the desert north east of Phoenix AZ.

Bill

Dont know anything meaningful to add about the machine in question, but Show Low (pop. ~11000) is up in pine country, ~6400 feet. Hardly Desert. Your assessment on availability is probably spot on though.

It was less the price of the Head stock which I do think is high but the shipping cost that got me. 224.00 shipped to the west coast seems a bit ridiculous to me. Even to ship in Arizona was something like 90.00.

Danny

And not even original, amazing. There was a guy a while back selling an empty cardboard box from a South Bend accessory. The madness continues.

South Bend Lathe | eBay :stirthepot:
"according to the Internet..."

"Was used for about 85% Aluminum (soft 6061) and about 15% Delrin. Mostly for the lightsaber building that was rediculously popular during the ecomonic good days of past :( I love this lathe, but can't justify it to the wife, believe me i've tried to come up with something"

Gotta build a lot of lightsabers to justify that purchase :nutter:

Back