What's new
What's new

Does anyone own a SB 13" model w/1 3/8" spindle, 2 1/4" x 8 tpi?

sundownj

Plastic
Needing a little help in identifying a SB model lathe that has such a spindle. I recently bought a spindle for my SB 13" lathe to replace mine that has a 1" spindle bore, thinking that I could just swap the out.

Not such a good idea!

The spindle I bought is approx. 21" in length. If you have a SB lathe with this size spindle would you please reply with your model number. I am going to list this spindle for sale as I have no use for it and would like to know which model it fits for the ad description.

Image is attached:

Attachments

• SB Spindle upload copy.jpg
    SB Spindle upload copy.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 156
Yes, that is a 13" spindle.

The headstocks are different for the small and large bore 13" , so while that is a 13" spindle it cannot be swapped into a small bore 13" headstock.

when you sell it note in your description that it will not swap into a small bore 13" so no one else tries the same.

Thanks for the reply. I did finally find an old catalog ad in an old Popular Mech 1940's magazine showing a SB model CL145 with such a spindle and I will make that entry in my ad that it is for a large bore headstock 13" lathe.

Thanks hitandmiss for the insight. The 10" & 10" heavy SB lathe takes a shorter spindle than a 13" SB, so I don't think that will be a good alternative to my problem.

Back