What's new
What's new

drawtube for small-spindle heavy 9

SteveM

Diamond
I have a small-spindle heavy 9 (1936 vintage 409-YN).

Will need to get a drawbar collet closer at some point.

Measured the length of the spindle - appears to be about 12-11/16" long.

Based on some rough calculations using the dimensions of a 3C and the dimensions of my 3AT collet adapter for my other lathe (which can't be mentioned here, but think Ayn Rand shrugged), I'm estimating that the threads on the collet will be somewhere between 10-3/8 and 10-7/8 from the left end of the spindle.

I've seen closers that were 10-1/2" from the end of the collar to the end of the tube, but that seems a little too short (would only be 1/8" engagement).

Maybe my measurements or calculations are off. It's been a long day of shoveling and blowing snow.

Anyone know what the correct dimension should be?

Also, can I just take the cone-shaped sleeve off and shorten it to get the length on one that's too short to the correct length?

Steve

I have a 1929 heavy 9, with a 3C drawbar. From thread end to taper near handle is 10 15/32". That's without the cone shaped sleeve. I don't see why you couldn't make it long, and make the cone shape sleeve any length to fit. My sleeve is a tad under 1/2" long.

Steve you can cheat. That's what I do.

Build the drawbar extra long, then count the number of threads for a good
engagement. Assemble the whole thing, slip the handle on the left end
and scribe a line on the drawbar tube.

Then assemble, cut off the xtra length.

This worked out well for the PW vertical head drawbar!

Buy the needle thrust bearing and two hard washers from MSC.

I'm in the middle of assembling the vertical head right now, it would be
about ten times faster than the first time, except I'm photographing the
whole process.

I was hoping to pick one up, but needed to know what I needed for it to fit.

Joe @ Plaza Machinery has drawtubes already made, so all you need to do is fit a bearing and a handle.

I have your P&W lathe bearing drawings saved.

I thought about making one from scratch, but I've never cut an internal thread. Might be the time to lear!

Anyone have the ID and OD of a drawtube?

Steve

Back