What's new
What's new

Shifting Tumblers "On the Fly"

DanMc77

Aluminum
Question: How many of you shift your tumblers on the fly, while the machine is running? I had done this for years with my little Grizzly G4000 and had no issues, but with the SB13 I want to be a bit more careful. I would never shift the FWD/REV selector since those gears are moving much faster, but the tumbler gears are just putting along.

You thoughts?

Keep right on flipping, the time you save is worth the downtime and parts replacement.

I shift the clutch lever Left/Center/Right while things are in motion. Never wanted to move the tumbler, in/out, for/rev levers unless things are at a stop.

I stop mine to shift the gearbox or the reversing tumbler. Rotate the spindle by hand as needed to get the lever to drop in. The feed lever on the apron is no problem, nothing there is moving if the clutch is not engaged. Its a hobby thing for me, a little extra time to turn off and shift is not a problem.

This question has been asked several times, and to my knowledge it always comes up with the same answer.

Without a doubt, it's a bad idea. This is not a synchronous transmission. And if you read what it says on your gear plate, it tells you not to shift years while the lathe is running. Or at least most of them that I've seen does. And on some machines such as the 9N You could actually trash the spindle. If that happens you have two choices by a new spindle, or relegated to woodworking. No power feed.

Take care of your lathe, and it will last you a lifetime. Abuse it, and you will have a money pit.

Stay safe and have fun.

Joe.

NEVER shift the reverse tumblers under power.

The farther to the right, the more likely you can shift gears under power on the SB
QC gearbox.

I'd say avoid doing that for any of them.

On the gearbox, you've got a chance, but it's not synchro-mesh and there's no oil to damp things so you will get wear. On the Tumbler reverse gears there is a real chance that you will end up with the gear teeth interfering. You won't break the lever or the gears, but you might make your hand ache.

Back