What's new
What's new

Early 13-Need a Primary Bracket

Janderso

Aluminum
I need a Primary Bracket for a 113A. I just cracked mine in half pressing out the Sliding gear shaft. Man these are tight. Obviously I did not have the cast iron supported properly. Lessons learned.
Please let me know if you have one or know of a source.
Thank you very much. I am in the process of re-felting. This was the last step.
primary brkt.jpg

Sorry I didn't type fast enough..saw it coming as soon as I saw the way you had it in the vise.

why were you even tying to take it apart?? Gears looked great...and there's nothing about it that can't be cleaned while assembled.

If you plan on staying this course you should buy the book and a good arbor press.

I need a Primary Bracket for a 113A. I just cracked mine in half pressing out the Sliding gear shaft. Man these are tight. Obviously I did not have the cast iron supported properly. Lessons learned.
Please let me know if you have one or know of a source.
Thank you very much. I am in the process of re-felting. This was the last step.
View attachment 222234

I have one.
Send me an email
Ted
[email protected]

Sorry I didn't type fast enough..saw it coming as soon as I saw the way you had it in the vise.

why were you even tying to take it apart?? Gears looked great...and there's nothing about it that can't be cleaned while assembled.

If you plan on staying this course you should buy the book and a good arbor press.

Yep, learned plenty today. There sure are plenty arbor presses to choose from. Can you make a suggestion? I used a standard 20 ton press, I obviously did not have it supported properly. It was coming out then bam.
Thanks

As for the broken part, I would JB weld it together (mostly to establish alignment), then place a couple steel reinforcement bars on each side and weld it together. Keep it as a spare rather than throw it out.

You may laugh at my suggestion of using JB weld. I have repaired broken things like this as a "temporary" fix and to my delight, those parts are still holding together years later even with the reinforcement also held together by JB weld.

Something along the line of a greenerd #3 is a great small arbor press. Big enough to be useful and small enough to park on a bench.

As for the broken part, I would JB weld it together (mostly to establish alignment), then place a couple steel reinforcement bars on each side and weld it together. Keep it as a spare rather than throw it out.

You may laugh at my suggestion of using JB weld. I have repaired broken things like this as a "temporary" fix and to my delight, those parts are still holding together years later even with the reinforcement also held together by JB weld.

That never occurred to me.....

I need one! I could have this repaired but I would rather have a good one. If you know of a source please let me know.
13" 113A, early war primary gear bracket.
THANK YOU

Call Craig Donges, the number is in the ad:
For Sale: 13" SouthBend lathe parts
Braze the broken one. If done well it will never fail.
John
There won't be the same stresses on the repair that you put on it when it broke. When bolted in place the brazed repair will have very little stress on it.
I do understand you not wanting a repair also. It's not the same. Don't discard the broke part. There is someone that would be happy to have it.

Wow, I am so glad this forum is available. You all provided sources and options. I will take the advice as this component is becoming more difficult to replace every time some impatient klutz modifies one of the few remaining.
I did learn the art of cast iron welding has come a long way. A long time professional plumber told me about a specific wire used to weld the piece while adhering to a gradual heating and cooling process. I know brazing has been used for years but it will always be a glue. Welding as you know rejoins the two pieces.
I have purchased a repaired bracket, ordered a wrong one and just found a complete assembly in addition to lookin into the welding piece.
I would say I over reacted as I sometimes do.
I have a new to me pride and joy and it is broken.
Thanks again.
Jeff

I was also going to suggest brazing it back together. A clean braze job and a coat of paint will hide that very nicely.

I will take pics of the brazed one, the welded one and the new to me assembly I purchased from Lost Creek Machine. Thanks to iwananew10k

Back