What's new
What's new

An entered apprentice and fascinated

Petersontools

Hot Rolled
Newbie and apprentice are appropriate for me---
I began this journey of mine in the health sciences. My father, a master jointer built wooden hulled minesweepers during WW II, the Korean and Vietnam eras, as a master ships jointer.

My restoration of his tools for working the wood opened a new world for me...and when I began using them my fascination grew even more---to a point we manufacture brass bound bench levels with hardwoods such as rosewood, cocobolo and mahogany (all with hand tools no less except for stock sizing). Cut the brass with hand tools, too. :(

When cleaning Dad's apprentice box one afternoon, I noticed bolts, cut (machined) brass and a cast bronze Stanley #71 router (Stanley never made a bronze plane except for early Millers Patent ploughs). I was moved again. I had never known Dad had dabbled in machine tool.

WOW! I was amazed. And then a learner entered my cardiopulmonary sciences program two years ago---he's also a master machinist---talk about things falling into place---sheesh...

And here I enter your world---reading about your own mastery (or wanting to achieve such a thing!) and I get to look at tools, much like my own created by masters of the past, that continue in service because of the quality of craftmanship.

I've been lurking for some time and reading your posts...inviting enough that I am here and worried perhaps in a sense, since I've restored nearly 60 Millers Falls and Goodell-Pratt (yep they made lathes, too!) handtools---boy, oh, boy---I wonder what will happen if I start restoring Southbends! :confused:

Nope, don't have one, a Southbend lathe that is, but I am looking and pondering a 9A. I figure, too, that with your assistance, I can learn about this ancient craft, tied it in with my level making and just enjoy.

Thank you for allowing me to share...and thank you for allowing me to be here!

Joe

Welcome, Joe.

My story has some similarities to yours, and we share a number of common interests.

I never turned a chip until about a 18 months ago, when I finally found a 9A for a sufficiently cheap price. It needed some TLC, and some small parts needed repair or replacement. After cleanup and restoration, I figured I'd learn how to use it by making the missing and broken parts and tooling. I've been making tooling and accessories ever since, and having a blast.

Being able to make things of my own design from scratch, especially tools, makes me feel like a minor deity. So be careful--this can both addictive and expensive, since there never seems to be an end to the tooling that you "need".

Best regards,
Mike

Very interesting story, Joe. You've come to the right place. I am a bit like you in that I see these old lathes as more than just a means to an end. For me, a large part of the enjoyment derives from owning a piece of a once-proud heritage.

I often think of the South Bend as the VW Beetle Of Lathes. I used to own a '71 Super Beetle (LONG after they were commonly seen on the streets), and it always amazed me the Beetle stories I'd hear from perfect strangers. Seems that everyone, at one time or another, owned a Beetle, or knew someone that did, and had an interesting story to tell. They were a cheap little car, but an excellent value, and seemed to just keep going.

There is nothing wrong with purchasing a machine tool simply to get the job done. But fixing up and using an older lathe can be a joy in itself, quite apart from its ability to machine parts. It takes one back to a time when such machines were widely produced and used in this country. It's a celebration of history.

Welcome to the forum -- hope you enjoy your stay.

Paula

Thank you Paula and Mike.

Mike, I began restoring, then "collecting" and then making. And then, I'd say to myself, "just how many Millers Falls hand planes or Henry Disston saws do I really need. Well...I've 55 M-F hand planes---and nearly 45 handsaws...and bunches of other tools that others would've just discarded. I even noticed while using the bathroom, there was a handplane sitting on one of the shelves in that place...I thought good grief...what do I need a plane in the bathroom for anyway? Oh yeah, addiction is correct, my friend.

Paula,

Gosh yes, heritage. I couldn't have said it better. I restored old lawnmowers as a kid---knew nothing about them but got all seven (yep, Mom and Dad both were both 'packies' [uh, packrats]) and had kept these old sage lawnmowers. I read a book on small engines, disassembled them, derusted, cleaned, and reassembled. Oh, yes, the Beetle...perhaps like my 52 Ford Customline w/overdrive and a flathead V8.

Here's the URL of our website...check it out when you've a moment...

http://homepage.mac.com/laws2/Personal4.html

And thanks to the both of you for your welcoming me here. :D

Joe

Joe,
Your website is thoroughly enjoyable. Some exceptional saws. Very nice work on the levels you make, too.

Anyone with an affinity for old wood working tools is allright in my book. It's good to have you here. My "collecting" (accumulation might be more accurate), though, is far less focussed than yours. It's just not that common to pass by a classic tool i don't like! Auburn Metallic 3 levers tend to be my obsession as far as planes. MF is high in my appreciation of factory planes, but I only have a few of those; they don't seem to have been common in this area. Nicely thought out design, and good execution, particularly the 3 point contact lever caps. I get weird looks from most people when waxing rhapsodic about my 709, but trust you'll understand.

smt

Hello Steve...

Thank you for your kind words about my website, and my efforts.

The Type 1 M-F planes are a fave of mine...but my treasurers are the four M-F tools Dad always wanted but never owned...he died at 55 years young in 1973:
M-F #209 Deluxe Chrome Permaloid Hand plane---I've two of these; the #5010 Permaloid brace; #67 router (open throat); and #24 jointer.

Now, to find a SB9 in restorable condition and learn to use it properly.

Thanks, Steve.

Joe

Way back when, it was apparently common for guys in pattern shops with a foundry close at hand to cast their own tools by the simple expedient of sticking an existing tool in the sand and pouring it, commonly bronze is seen. One sure way to spot them is to hold them up next to a known Stanley original; inevitably they'll be smaller due to the shrinkage.

Somewhere around here there is a Stanley spokeshave that was made this way.

Yeah, more saws laying around than I have time to restore, at lest their lighter than mills and lathes.

Rob

Hi Rob...

Yep, that's the interesting thing...Dad wasn't a patternmaker, but he sure as heck cast this puppy. A number of his colleagues were patternmakers, that I'm pretty sure helped him with this. And you are right...it is smaller, and a rather nice size, too!

Joe

Back