What's new
What's new

South Bend 13 Collet assembly

grahamkmiller

Plastic
Hello all, I recently purchased a South Bend 13 inch with the 60 inch bed and successfully transported it home. It came with a minimal amount of parts & pieces and tooling. For the headstock, it came with a 3-jaw chuck that fits the 2.25 x 8 tpi spindle. I am interested in picking up a 5c collet set and the necessary parts to use them. I understand I need a drawbar, I assume with a hand wheel, and some sort of holder for the collets at the spindle end. What else am I missing. I have not been able to find out much regarding this assembly, so I could use any advice you can give. Do the parts off other SB models interchange at all? Pictures or a drawing would help too.

I have no instant need for theses, but since I am on ebay all the time, I would like to know what to look for. I also have some ability to make things, between the SB and a Bridgeport I bought earlier in the year.

Thank you

Graham

You will need a drawtube/handwheel assembly and a spindle adapter piece.
The handwheel assy will be unique to a 13 inch lathe.

I think the adapter will be the same as used on the Heavy 10 lathe.

I just finished making one of these adapters from scratch for my heavy 10. It is a flanged piece with male taper to match the spindle and the id to match a 5C collet (1.2505 bore 20 degree taper)

Thank you for the information so far. To complicate the matter, I understand there are two different size threaded spindles, (I have the 2.25 x 8 tpi), as well as a quick release spindle (I don't know if this is the correct term). In addition, I believe there were two different kinds of draw bar ends at the outboard end of the lathe, the hand wheel and a some sort of a quick-action lever. Plus, there were different options on the number of belt positions on the cone, so possibly longer or shorter headstocks...So with all these options, was the drawbar the same length regardless, or were there different drawbar lengths depending on the options? Does anyone with the handwheel drawbar have a measurement of theirs?

thank you

yes, different lengths for the spindle options.

in any case Ted is your man for info and quite possibly the parts you need too.

Does your quick release spindle happen to look like this?

image.jpg

Graham,

My Enco 12 x 36 has has a Royal lever type collet closer. Unless you are going to be doing a LOT of identical collet work, I suggest you get just a plain hand wheel type closer, much quicker to set up for one to five pieces. I'm in the process of making one for my 13". The spindle adapter nose works for both the Enco (2-1/4" x 8 spindle) and the SB 13" D1-4 spindle. The new hand wheel closer will work on both lathes with a short tube 'dutchman' to make up for the shorter length spindle on the Enco.

(I do most of my collet work on the Enco due to the threaded spindle; chuck work on the South Bend with the D1-4 spindle.

John

Back