ER32 Collet Chuck thread issues
Largest Manufacturing Technology
Community On The Web
Close
Login to Your Account

Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Posts
    18
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default ER32 Collet Chuck thread issues

    HI All,
    a long while ago I purchased an ER32 collet chuck for my SB9B, it was brand new and listed on a popular auction site as for a boxford but looked to be the right thread, it is all one piece not a backplate and bolt on type (the same as the link below), my questions is, it only seems to thread on about a half turn then binds up, I have read that it may be the wrong pitch, which I will try to check tomorrow when I can get to it (any suggestions for checking the internal thread pitch?), but is there anything I can do if it is? anything else I should try to get it to fit? and has anyone else used one of these with any success?

    Redirect Notice

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Posts
    83
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    5
    Likes (Received)
    38

    Default

    8 tpi. Each thread should be 1/8 inch apart. Stick an Imperial (English to us colonials) scale down the bore and see what the threads pitch measures. The points should line up nicely on every 1/8 inch mark.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Chilliwack BC Canada
    Posts
    360
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    35
    Likes (Received)
    62

    Default

    From http://www.lathes.co.uk/boxford/
    An interesting note in the Company's records states that: From Serial 1360 all machines have an 8 t.p.i. Whitworth form spindle nose - a reference to the fact that the first batch must have had an exact copy of the South Bend fitting with its American 60° thread angle (the Whitworth is 55°).

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Scotts Valley, CA
    Posts
    656
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    20
    Likes (Received)
    52

    Default

    If it's a 55 degree Whitworth thread in 8 tpi, you could dress the threads with a 60 degree tool so it will fit. That's what I'd try if it was mine - might take some work with a magnifier to get the threads lined up with the tool, but after that it shouldn't be a big deal.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Posts
    4,073
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1868
    Likes (Received)
    1634

    Default

    That would be a foolish thing to do on a UK made Boxford.

    Better to slightly open up the collet chuck's thread with a 55° tool, if needed

  6. Likes BobsSouthbend liked this post
  7. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Scotts Valley, CA
    Posts
    656
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    20
    Likes (Received)
    52

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rand View Post
    That would be a foolish thing to do on a UK made Boxford.

    Better to slightly open up the collet chuck's thread with a 55° tool, if needed
    I thought the OP said he had a SB 9 and the ER chuck was for a Boxford? My suggestion was certainly not to modify a Boxford lathe spindle, I was talking about the chuck. I agree it would be beyond foolish to mess with a boxford lathe.

  8. Likes Scottl, Mark Rand liked this post
  9. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Chilliwack BC Canada
    Posts
    360
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    35
    Likes (Received)
    62

    Default

    There are likely one or nine Boxford lathes still operational in the UK so why not just sell what you mistakenly bought and go shopping for something that fits?

  10. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    4,055
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    441
    Likes (Received)
    463

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken-Bergen View Post
    There are likely one or nine Boxford lathes still operational in the UK so why not just sell what you mistakenly bought and go shopping for something that fits?
    Yes and list it as:

    RARE!!!! ER32 Spindle Chuck for Boxford Lathes with Whitworth spindle threads. RARE, RARE, RARE!!!!

    using the word RARE as many times as will fit and all those caps and exclamation points because, as everyone knows, caps and exclamation points bring higher prices!

    Steve

  11. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Posts
    5,200
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1115
    Likes (Received)
    1003

    Default

    Oh crap, I guess per Mark's message the lathe is a SB...I can't read either. I was just following the conversation here...

    Make one yourself if you need to...you can thread on the SB, and true it up after, so that it runs right on your lathe. Same if you buy a threaded back plate, which cost about as much as a happy meal...the answers are out there...some of them sitting in front of you.
    Last edited by traditional-tools; 06-16-2017 at 02:25 PM.

  12. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Posts
    4,073
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1868
    Likes (Received)
    1634

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blob View Post
    I thought the OP said he had a SB 9 and the ER chuck was for a Boxford? My suggestion was certainly not to modify a Boxford lathe spindle, I was talking about the chuck. I agree it would be beyond foolish to mess with a boxford lathe.

    Bugger! I didn't have my thinking head on when I wrote the post. Saw the OP was in the UK and automatically assumed that the lathe was a Boxford.

  13. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Posts
    18
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default

    Hi All,
    thanks for the responses, so I checked my spindle pitch and it is indeed 60 degrees. however I tried threading the collet chuck onto a chuck arbor I have for my rotary table (also 60°) and it threaded onto that just fine with no slop, I tried threading it slowly onto the spindle again and it looks like the un-threaded part of the spindle is contacting against the un threaded back of the chuck before it can thread on fully. I checked with a caliper and this seems to be the case. Can I just open up the back of the collet chuck? what should stop the chuck from threading further?

    I am quite willing to buy a new one/ try making one, but learning where this one is wrong seems like an important step towards that

  14. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    moscow,ohio
    Posts
    3,819
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    391
    Likes (Received)
    1057

    Default

    yes, just open up the unthreaded part of the collet chuck a bit.

    Easy way- chuck up a scrap bar in a death grip with your 3 or 4jaw chuck, with a couple inches sticking out and turn it the size of your biggest ER32 collet(3/4" or so presumably)
    Now you have a dead nut mandrel...do not move it...snap collet into ER nut,slip it on t your turned mandrel and carefully tighten the collet nut to the ER chuck...sharp boring bar and turn the inner register to a nice slip fit on your lathe spinde register...easy peasy and it will be dead on.
    Last edited by iwananew10K; 06-20-2017 at 08:42 AM.

  15. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Posts
    18
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iwananew10K View Post
    yes, just open up the unthreaded part of the collet chuck a bit.

    Easy way- chuck up a scrap bar in a death grip with your 3 or 4jaw chuck, with a couple inches sticking out and turn it the size of your biggest ER32 collet(1" or 26mm presumably)

    Now you have a dead nut mandrel...do not move it...snap collet into ER nut,slip it on t your turned mandrel and carefully tighten the collet nut to the ER chuck...sharp boring bar and turn the inner register to a nice slip fit on your lathe spinde register...easy peasy and it will be dead on.
    That makes a lot of sense, thanks! I'll give it a go next time I have a little time to spare. Thanks again!

  16. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Chilliwack BC Canada
    Posts
    360
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    35
    Likes (Received)
    62

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aquilla View Post
    Hi All,
    thanks for the responses, so I checked my spindle pitch and it is indeed 60 degrees. however I tried threading the collet chuck onto a chuck arbor I have for my rotary table (also 60°) and it threaded onto that just fine with no slop, I tried threading it slowly onto the spindle again and it looks like the un-threaded part of the spindle is contacting against the un threaded back of the chuck before it can thread on fully. I checked with a caliper and this seems to be the case. Can I just open up the back of the collet chuck? what should stop the chuck from threading further?

    I am quite willing to buy a new one/ try making one, but learning where this one is wrong seems like an important step towards that
    Have you verified that the chuck is also a 60° thread?

  17. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Posts
    18
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken-Bergen View Post
    Have you verified that the chuck is also a 60° thread?
    I am kind of assuming I guess, since it threads onto the 60° threaded arbor, it doesn't seem to be binding or have any slop, so I assumed it must match the thread pitch... is that safe to assume?

  18. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Chilliwack BC Canada
    Posts
    360
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    35
    Likes (Received)
    62

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aquilla View Post
    I am kind of assuming I guess, since it threads onto the 60° threaded arbor, it doesn't seem to be binding or have any slop, so I assumed it must match the thread pitch... is that safe to assume?
    Have you measured the spindle thread and the arbour thread? The three wire method comes to mind.


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •