What's new
What's new

Excited - Just bought a beautiful SB 9"

Escher

Plastic
I'm pretty excited - I found this Beauty about two hours away and will hopefully pick it up Sunday.

I believe its a South Bend 9" Junior Simplex from the 1920's

Looks to be in excellent condition and has the original paint I believe!

The seller said it was his Grandfathers, who was a tool and die maker. They said all the associated tooling is included - not sure exactly how much that is yet, but from the pics there looks to be a tool box or two and some coffee cans full of tooling.

Pics:

35802995904_6d2722d875_c.jpg

36499806481_2087cd87dc_c.jpg

I'm away on vacation and was panicking trying to get ahold of the seller to send him $$$ to hold it as its just too nice to miss out on.

I'll post more pics once I pick it up and get it into my basement.

I'm planning on disassembling it to bring it home - any tips?

Ha! Congrats, I just commented on another couple threads about this lathe. It is a 1928 or so 9Jr, not a 9C or other workshop lathe. It's surprisingly heavy for it's size, but comes apart easily. Try to leave it assembled, but if you have to break it up, a good flathead screwdriver to remove the leadscrew hangers, and a crescent wrench for everything else is really all you need.

allan

Lol.... when you said this lathe - I thought you meant "model"... not this exact lathe!!

I back traced your posts and it looks like the other person was looking for a lathe with quick change gears like a model A... I decided I want more vintage and historical, hence - this model.

I paypal'd the seller this evening - so I think this one is officially off the market.. ;)

All set to pick up tomorrow - Just getting started on the planning for some restoration work.

So - from what I have gathered, the original finish was a type of Japanning.. I went through that bit of research and its definitely not a level of detail I want to undertake.

I'll know more tomorrow obviously, but there appears to be a good amount of original finish remaining.

A couple questions:
1) is there any modern product that will somewhat "match" the original finish? Or will any attempt stick out like a sore thumb?

2) if there is some paint that matches - can I simply degrease with simple green or similar, or will that harm the original finish?

Depending on how much finish is there, I may just leave it as-is and just do rust removal and cleaning... look for a bunch of pics in the next few days as this plays out. :)

I would not do anything to the finish only clean with a oil rag...You do not see a lathe with that good of a original finish
very often.

All set to pick up tomorrow - Just getting started on the planning for some restoration work.

So - from what I have gathered, the original finish was a type of Japanning.. I went through that bit of research and its definitely not a level of detail I want to undertake.

I'll know more tomorrow obviously, but there appears to be a good amount of original finish remaining.

A couple questions:
1) is there any modern product that will somewhat "match" the original finish? Or will any attempt stick out like a sore thumb?

2) if there is some paint that matches - can I simply degrease with simple green or similar, or will that harm the original finish?

Depending on how much finish is there, I may just leave it as-is and just do rust removal and cleaning... look for a bunch of pics in the next few days as this plays out. :)

leave it alone, clean it up a bit but just use it.

Congrats on your new machine, it's a great feeling getting a lathe. I was considering a 9" Junior not long ago myself (and which I believe is still for sale). Was a nice deal offered with a healthy array of tooling. The owner's high school shop teacher was none other than the beloved Mr. Pete.

Thanks

..aaaaand I just threw my bad knee out of joint (I blew my acl 3 years ago, haven't had it repaired as I'm not an athlete and it normally doesn't cause issues - unless I forget myself - like today)- Icing it now. Still planning on picking it up.. Just I guess I'll be wearing my knee brace in the process. Thats what I get for trying to unpack from vacation and clean the basement and pick up a machine in the same day..

Sorry to hear that. Bring lots of strong help, have a solid plan, and if possible, utilize things like an engine hoist, furniture dollies, a come along, lifting straps, good rope or chain, and wood. Be mindful of the lead screw with straps or chain, don't snap the lead screw bracket off. If you leave the carriage on, lock it down. There's no shame in a delay of game if you're not 100%. Good luck.

I'm moving around ok - knee is doing alright, but I'm still going to take it easy.

I've been studying the lathe for a couple of days and plan to remove the tail stock, motor, spindle, lead screw, apron, and take the headstock off the base.. Shipping weight was under 400lb so I think I can keep it to just over 100lb for the heaviest section..

But - I do have a dolly and furniture dolly as well and some shipping blankets and bins to keep everything from shifting around and getting damaged. Going to take it slow and be careful - no worries!

Use it for a while and get to know it. Mount it on a simple structure of 2x4's. In the meantime you can design a nice steel stand that allows the chips to drop down into a pickup pan. The pan can be removed and the metal waste can be easily brushed away.

It's easy to match the paint for the stand. If after a few months when the stand is painted you can decide if the machine should be repainted at the same time.

WOW! Nice find.
Sorry to hear about the knee, take it slow and easy. Don't makes things worse by re injuring it again during the move. Take your time.
As far as refinishing it, I wouldn't touch it. Those small amounts of wear are character on a machine of that age, and the finish is in incredible condition. Clean it, oil it, and USE IT.

I'm moving around ok - knee is doing alright, but I'm still going to take it easy.

I've been studying the lathe for a couple of days and plan to remove the tail stock, motor, spindle, lead screw, apron, and take the headstock off the base.. Shipping weight was under 400lb so I think I can keep it to just over 100lb for the heaviest section..

But - I do have a dolly and furniture dolly as well and some shipping blankets and bins to keep everything from shifting around and getting damaged. Going to take it slow and be careful - no worries!

I would advise you to leave the spindle in the head stock for the move....

Ohhh that was SO easy... Literally like 25-30 minutes to disassemble and load up... no big deal..

I have it temporarily set up on my work bench in the basement for cleaning... I will be putting a tray under it in a day or so.

But I know what you all want - PICS!!
IMG_9272 by Christopher Purdy, on Flickr

IMG_8505 by Christopher Purdy, on Flickr

IMG_7925 by Christopher Purdy, on Flickr

A little bit of surface rust on the ways..

IMG_7716 by Christopher Purdy, on Flickr

IMG_3485 by Christopher Purdy, on Flickr

IMG_3222 by Christopher Purdy, on Flickr

Ways a bit chewed up right under the chuck:
IMG_2216 by Christopher Purdy, on Flickr

IMG_6247 by Christopher Purdy, on Flickr

IMG_7295 by Christopher Purdy, on Flickr

IMG_4558 by Christopher Purdy, on Flickr

Included Tooling:

IMG_2621 by Christopher Purdy, on Flickr

IMG_9413 by Christopher Purdy, on Flickr

I have no idea what this is:

IMG_9735 by Christopher Purdy, on Flickr

Found the Serial Number:
Serial by Christopher Purdy, on Flickr

Looks like it was made in late 1920's to early 1930's based on the serial number charts I found (no data for serials in range 48100,48200,48300,48400,48500,48600,48700,48800)..

I'll likely buy a serial card for it, cause I'm that kind of geek.

Interesting- that serial puts you in the middle of 1931. However, the headstock is older style, circa 1926-29. Look around on the lathe, you should find the last three digits of the serial stamped on some parts (leadscrew, etc).

allan

Interesting- that serial puts you in the middle of 1931. However, the headstock is older style, circa 1926-29. Look around on the lathe, you should find the last three digits of the serial stamped on some parts (leadscrew, etc).

allan

Yep, my 1928 is #38732. Headstock or bed change at some point. ??
What is the last pic of post #17? Not familiar with that option?

Back